Cichlid Fry!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Hoyo12, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

It has been awhile since I last posted here, so I thought I'd start off with some good news, with more to come. ;D
    One of my female Albino Metriaclima Hajomaylandi "Cobue", which is part of a breeder group, bred not too long ago with a male and I was able to strip the fry, and they are now growing larger every day. :)
    Picture of the 9 fry, and the female, which is holding again. ;D
    732.jpg
    734.jpg
    736.jpg
    738.jpg

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Sweet little babies :D
    And what a beautiful mother they have!!

3. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

lol, thanks. The color really 'pops' on her, because I have her in a temporary 10-Gallon Blackwater (Really makes the color on most fish look a lot better) Community tank so she doesn't get picked on by the others on the main 50-Gallon Breeder Tank.
    Moved the fry into a 10-Gallon today, seems how I took those pics yesterday, and they are now more active. Hoping to strip the next batch of fry from her soon.

4. konstargirl

konstargirl Well Known Member Member

The fry are adorable. <3 How old are they? when are you going to do with them once they are bigger.

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Could you explain what Blackwater is pleasE? :)

I guess it is a type of malawi cichlid? Do they sell for much?

6. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Oh, jeesh... how old are they... lol, not sure; around two weeks maybe three. I was hoping to get them into the breeding tank once they get larger, so I have some more breeders. ;D Then I'll have to start selling. ;)

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Actually, I think its a tank with water filled with tannins from plant material...correct me if I'm wrong?

8. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Sure. Blackwater is when leaves, wood, etc. start to decay in the water giving it a darker coloring and improving the coloration of the fish in the tank, just by having darker water. There are other ways of improving the coloring on fish that I know a few people that have tried, such as black substrate, black background, etc.
    I had some tree bark that I put into the tank for a few weeks that gave the tank the water color it has now, and I have also tried leaves on a different tank, which also works great. It's a fun little experiment. :)

Yep, it is a type of Malawi species, but because they are albino I have no idea how much they sell for. Never seen the albino form before until I got these guys.

You are correct, but you can remove the plant material once the tank water looks good enough to you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  9. konstargirl

I think I just learn something new today. lol Are the cichlids your center piece fish?

10. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

lol
    Well, in a way, yes. They are part of my 'fish room' which has around 14 different tanks ranging from 10-60 Gallons. It is my favorite tank though. :)

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats on the babies!!!
    Mom n dad are awesome too :)
    Im surprised with the low ph, they are doing so well...congrats!!!

12. konstargirl

Cool. I only had a 10 gallon and my platies are my center piece fish. They come to the front like everyday. lol

13. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Thank you.
    I should get a pic of the father quick...
    And, I've never seemed to have an issue with ph. :)
    lol, I normally don't get Platies, Mollies, etc. but recently I started this little fish rescue around my area and it seems most of the rescues are Platies and Mollies, etc. lol

14. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

with the "black water" setup, its got to be pretty low and those adorable fish like it much higher...almost 8-9 is tolerable for them...but again, congrats and we love all kinds of pics :)

15. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Suppose I haven't even tested the ph in the tank before, lol. Anyway, just a temporary hold for her for now until I strip the fry. Then she goes back with the rest of the gang. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice