20 Gallon Tank Cichlid Fry Help

Lana1049

Hello! I’m super happy today, as I came back from vacation and my kribensis pair have had their first spawn! There’s are seven fry in all, and I can say for sure that the mom needs to work on her parenting skills. While the dad stays near them all the time, the female will wander around, I guess guarding their territory. The male actually was trying to stop her from going anywhere else by pinning her to the ground and blocking her. It didn’t really work. The fry also had a near-death experience next to the heater, when they decided to eat some algae on it. It turned on, and they were in shock. The parents freaked out, and now they are safely on the other side of the tank, the furthest from the heater. Apart from that, all are healthy.

However, I do have a few questions. When should I separate the fry from the parents? I have a little tank coming in the mail tomorrow from a friend for the fry, but I don’t want to speed anything up and take the fry away before the parents are done taking care of them. Also, what food should they be fed? My main question is how I should give them away when they’re big enough. I’d rather not give them to my lfs as that doesn’t promise a good home, and the kribs don’t get a very large tank. I don’t have anyone I know to give them to, so is there I way I can ship them? Just for future reference. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Coptapia

You can separate the fry any time. If you leave them till the parents have “finished caring for them” that might be because they decide to breed again, and if they do that they might eat the fry. They might not, but it’s always a risk, so if you’re desperate to keep them you could remove the fry now. Whenever you remove them, the parents might not like it and they might turn on each other. The joys of breeding cichlids.
I start all cichlid fry off on frozen lobster eggs, then after a week or two I add grated frozen foods (easy to do when they’re frozen) and powdered flakes (powdered any-food really, just crush it in your hands).
Or you could feed them baby brine shrimp, which you’d need to hatch yourself. Frozen lobster eggs are much easier and give even quicker growth.

What to do with the fry when they’ve grown is another matter...

Lana1049

Coptapia said:
You can separate the fry any time. If you leave them till the parents have “finished caring for them” that might be because they decide to breed again, and if they do that they might eat the fry. They might not, but it’s always a risk, so if you’re desperate to keep them you could remove the fry now. Whenever you remove them, the parents might not like it and they might turn on each other. The joys of breeding cichlids.
I start all cichlid fry off on frozen lobster eggs, then after a week or two I add grated frozen foods (easy to do when they’re frozen) and powdered flakes (powdered any-food really, just crush it in your hands).
Or you could feed them baby brine shrimp, which you’d need to hatch yourself. Frozen lobster eggs are much easier and give even quicker growth.

What to do with the fry when they’ve grown is another matter...
Thanks, I’ve actually never heard of feeding fry lobster eggs. I’ll have to check that out! I’m not very scared of the pair turning on each other, as the female has never turned on him, and allows him to be near her 24/7. I do have to do a water change in the next couple of days, however, which involves siphoning the substrate, and I don’t want to risk getting the fry sucked up. Yikes. I’ll move them into the new tank with water from the current one, I guess. How would you sell them?

Coptapia

You’ll have to find someone near you that wants them I suppose, if you don’t want to give them to a shop (I totally understand btw). Getting rid of fry is the tricky bit... I can’t really help.

There are lobster eggs and there are lobster eggs. Some of them are quite big apparently, but the ones to use are one of the frozen food varieties that some of the manufacturers do. They’re in the blister packs, and they’re the same size as brine shrimp eggs.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom