Cichlid Community Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Vignesh Jagraj, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Vignesh Jagraj

Vignesh JagrajValued MemberMember

So its been 6 months with my 4.5 feet long tank . Initially i started off with 10 tiger barbs and 2 peacock cihclids to cycle the tank (no deaths ) . Then in a few weeks the peacocks outgrew them and the zebras were as good as live feed to them . Then I added 3 albino afcircan red zebras , 1 ob peacock , 1 venustus, 1 auratus , 1 firemouth cichlid, 1 red zebra . Cause of the agression the female peacock lost its life . All was well and my juvenile fishes started to grow until recently last week when my 6 inch venustus died cause of agression from othet fishes ( others were hardly 4 inches ) . And immediately in a day or two i lost my male peacock as well. There were way few fishes in the tank and the aggression was building up . The red zebra and albino male were on the top of the food chain . The OB was the next target so I immediately isolated it once I noticed the others picking on it. Since there wer too less fishes i Added 1 male and a female Green terror (doing very well now ) and today i added 2 salvini cichlids , and decided to add the OB back as well . So far everything seems to be normal again . no picking each other . My question is can I add an oscar to my tank ? will thre be any problems? I am maintaining a ph level of around 7.0 . And can i add juvenille mbunas to the tank (currently all my cichlids ar 4inch + including the auratus )

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

So you are mixing continents alot here with your cichlid tank. That is not generally a good idea from an aggression as well as compatibility stand point. The aggression in the tank is about to change and it isnt in the direction you want. Green Terrors live up to their name and they will soon start holding their own in the tank. With a pH of 7 you wont have to worry about them spawning as they prefer a more basic pH.

My advice, pick a continent and pick a region. Go with Lake Malawi or Victoria or Tanganika, or go with a south or central american species but dont intermix. That always causes problems.

3. OP
    OP
    Vignesh Jagraj

Vignesh JagrajValued MemberMember

OMG disaster . You were right , when i came back from work today , all of my 6 african cichlids were floating dead :( :( :( :(( . All the American Cichlids were roaming around freely . Was really sad looking at this. Never mixing territories again

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

there are some of the cichlids that are actually rather laid back and community fish. Most of the Cichlids from the Americas are not like that. There are several that are really mean. I like the mean ones because they have alot of personality.

5. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Cichlids are funny like that. They each have their own personalities. My father once had a 100 gallon tank with about 15 assorted african cichlids and a convict cichlid who had a broken clay pot he protected. But generally you shouldn't mix a bunch of continents. But hey, everyone has to learn somehow, eh?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice