Cichlid care - Update!

Colbyxxs

Hi guys! I just wanted to make a post about my Cichlid tank & just how much of a time it has been making sure everything is running smoothly & is healthy for them all.
I’ve had these guys for a while now & still have so much to learn. I hear different things regarding water conditions & stuff like that. But I generally try to keep them neutral or in the middle of what everyone likes or prefers.
What are the most ideal conditions for south/Central American cichlids? What foods are good for their diet?
I have a bloodparrot, 2 firemouths, green terror, blue acara, red shoulder, convict, blue Texas, bald shark, & I know this wasn’t ideal. But we rescued him, a jewel (African) He gets along with everyone, the problem seems to be the convict even though he’s the smallest hahah.

Also I rescued this gold severum from petsmart a few days back. She was on her way to death, & was infested with ich (the worst I’ve ever seen. I asked if I could buy her & they looked at me side ways haha. They ended up letting me take her for a penny(guess they need to run it through the system someway) & I’ve been treating her & making sure she’s going to make it. So far she is almost completely rid of ich. Swimming freely around the hospital tank. Eating. Enjoying her health coming back. I don’t know, I figured here is the best place to post about my experiences and situations.

Thank you guys! Also, my Cichlids eat EXTREME AQUATIC FOODS CICHLID PEEWEE & algae crumbles.
Any ideas? Attaching pics of what I’m talking about below. Also,my parameters are all good. Nitrates 10-20.

Cody

Looks like you’re on a good track for care and trying to provide the best life. The severum looks to be in good shape, all things considered.

As with anything the best diet is just providing a good variety. This can be done with different flakes and pellets or live/frozen foods. Flakes and/or pellets make a good staple. I personally use a mixed type community flake and will supplement higher fat/protein foods for a little variety. Everything you have pictured would be appropriate for Daily feedings.

How large is your tank? You have nice variety of fish but a few of them will get pretty big and you might have more issues as they reach adult size, they all look fairly young right now. No surprise the the convict is giving the most grief. They are a smaller fish in the cichlid world, but they do not lack any spunk! I do also worry about the two African species long term. Not that it hasn’t been done but, usually leads to some issues.

carsonsgjs

The tank set up, if its big enough, should include decor to break the lines if sight to diffuse aggression. Some of the fish you have will get increasingly aggressive as they mature, not to mention large in size. Things like driftwood, rocks and plants (probably ones that attach to the hardscape such as anubias and java fern as planted ones will probably get dug up) will fill the tank out and provide spaces for the fish to retreat to.

If the tank isn’t big enough, then some fish may need to be rehomed to make it work out.

Colbyxxs

Looks like you’re on a good track for care and trying to provide the best life. The severum looks to be in good shape, all things considered.

As with anything the best diet is just providing a good variety. This can be done with different flakes and pellets or live/frozen foods. Flakes and/or pellets make a good staple. I personally use a mixed type community flake and will supplement higher fat/protein foods for a little variety. Everything you have pictured would be appropriate for Daily feedings.

How large is your tank? You have nice variety of fish but a few of them will get pretty big and you might have more issues as they reach adult size, they all look fairly young right now. No surprise the the convict is giving the most grief. They are a smaller fish in the cichlid world, but they do not lack any spunk! I do also worry about the two African species long term. Not that it hasn’t been done but, usually leads to some issues.
I’m currently in the process of a getting a 110 that I found on marketplace. I’m praying that’ll be enough for them long term. I have multiple tanks. So if I need to I can split them up and have them comfortable for the time being. Once the 110 is set up, it’ll be a lot easier to manage them & if needed keep a few in the 55 & the rest in the 110. I’m hoping they can all coexist. So far so good. Just that little convict haha. They never nip, as of now.

and thank you!! I have tons of food & im sure some will go to waste which sucks. But I’ve been trying to get on a more consistent schedule with variety.

the 110 I’ve found is below. It’s to good of a deal to pass up. Plus I know I’ll need it sooner than later

Cody

I’m currently in the process of a getting a 110 that I found on marketplace. I’m praying that’ll be enough for them long term. I have multiple tanks. So if I need to I can split them up and have them comfortable for the time being. Once the 110 is set up, it’ll be a lot easier to manage them & if needed keep a few in the 55 & the rest in the 110. I’m hoping they can all coexist. So far so good. Just that little convict haha. They never nip, as of now.

and thank you!! I have tons of food & im sure some will go to waste which sucks. But I’ve been trying to get on a more consistent schedule with variety.

the 110 I’ve found is below. It’s to good of a deal to pass up. Plus I know I’ll need it sooner than later

I give you credit that you already have a contingency. Will that be the answer long term? Who knows. You could have a 500 gallon tank and that won’t guarantee you won’t have issues. Size of the tank is only part of the equation.

This will give you a good water volume to support the large fish load you will have and is definitely better than trying to maintain all of those in the 55. The 55 will serve as a good grow out tank for the time being as well while you put the 110 together. And like you said, worst case you split them between the two.

The 110 is pretty unique. Typically you see the 100+ gallon tanks as 5 or 6ft long but that looks like a 4ft tank but fairly tall. Perfect for a display tank!

Colbyxxs

so I made a post about this severum I saw at Petsmart a week or two ago. She’s was infested with ich so badly, most of the fish there were, But she had it the worst. She was laying at the bottom of the holding tank, not moving. I asked the employee if I could buy here, and the employee said she’d have to ask her boss if could take her because of how sick she was. The boss told me I could have her for $ .01, I guess just to run it through their system.
Well, I was able to save her. I’ve brought her back to full health & she’s finally been introduced back into a tank with a few other fish for now. I’m waiting to add her & my other severum to the Cichlid community just because I feel their a bit more peaceful & are fine in my other community. But she’s so happy, it makes me so happy I was able to atleast change 1 fish’s outcome.
I’ve named her hope!
& she’s even made a friend.
Here’s a before & after

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Meyia
Replies
Views