Cichlid Breeding Station & Growout

navyscuba
So as many of you know I have been working on some major project including a Sump, Stand, 4 10gal tanks, and 2 20gal tanks. Here are some pics. I began the work on the stand on Friday night. Worked on it Yesterday a bit and today. It still one level short but here are pics. Enjoy.

BTW to my Blog.

navyscuba
Sump

Here are the Sump pics. arty0049:

bolivianbaby
It looks like it's coming along great! You look like you're really enjoying working on it, too!

When you finish that one, I could use some "stacking" stands With all the tanks and stands in this house, there are only two stands that can hold two tanks

Tony G.
haha it looks so huge! this is an interesting proyect! when you have this set up its gonna look awesome!

navyscuba
Stands

bolivianbaby said:
It looks like it's coming along great! You look like you're really enjoying working on it, too!

When you finish that one, I could use some "stacking" stands With all the tanks and stands in this house, there are only two stands that can hold two tanks
No problem I was just talking to my wife about making stands on demand for members in the area who like me to build some for them. Just let me know and we plan something. I can build them and deliver them on my pick up.

Stand

Tony G. said:
haha it looks so huge! this is an interesting proyect! when you have this set up its gonna look awesome!
You know it Tony.

bolivianbaby
navyscuba said:
No problem I was just talking to my wife about making stands on demand for members in the area who like me to build some for them. Just let me know and we plan something. I can build them and deliver them on my pick up.
Seriously? OMG-that would be AWESOME! Please, please, please let me know when you start that because that would really free up some space in this house.

navyscuba
I will let you know. No problem.

Tony G.
hey scubes, is mexico within driving distance? I'm sure your wife would love to come down here sometime... just bring some building material

navyscuba
You are nuts If I built something for you to put more tanks your Dad is going to kill me and kick you out of the house.

Stand Update.

So here is the stand pretty much finished with exception of the shell that will cover the bones of the stand. The first is after I just finished about 45 mins ago the next ones are loaded with tanks and sump on the bottom. Comments are

bolivianbaby
Wow! That looks incredible! Fabulous job!

Amanda
Wow! That looks awesome!

navyscuba
Thanks ladies. Yeap I have been working my tail off this weekend.

bolivianbaby
Just let us know when your tail's rested up and you're ready to work on another one

Lucy
Great job Riv!
Gotta admire a man who can build stuff. The only thing my husband can build is a sandwich.

Shawnie
holy cow!!!!!!!!!!! I missed this thread...another moment for me!!!!!
scubes that's awesome....just showed my bf and he said for me not to get any ideas hahaha....great job buddy!!!!!!!

Lucy said:
Great job Riv!
Gotta admire a man who can build stuff. The only thing my husband can build is a sandwich.
mine can build a wood pile@! which don't do a bit of good outside!!!!!

Martinismommy
WOW! I love it! I could use one of those for my 200 grow out tanks lol.....

navyscuba
Build

Lucy said:
Great job Riv!
Haha. Pastrami for me please, light mayo and heavy mustard.

I can build it

Martinismommy said:
WOW! I love it! I could use one of those for my 200 grow out tanks lol.....
I can build it but shipping OUCH.:

Tony G.
haha it looks awesome! are you gonna do any finishes on it? like doors and that kind of stuff? it looks awesome!

navyscuba
Stand

Tony G. said:
haha it looks awesome! are you gonna do any finishes on it? like doors and that kind of stuff? it looks awesome!
Yeap it will be covered all the way around with finished plywood and doors to open up on each tank to access the tank and light. The bottom where the sump and the empty space(Shelve area) will have doors too. The back will be open to remove tanks and do maintenance. Another thing is that the stand will be mounted on casters. I got them today. They hold 275lbs each and is going to have 6 or 8 not sure yet.

Tony G.
holy moly! haha! cool

navyscuba
I was just doing the estimate on how much would the stand with the tanks full will weight in total and is 1353 lbs (counting the sump like a tank full) and the total hold weight of the casters is 1650 lbs.

bolivianbaby
Wow! That's a lot of poundage!

navyscuba
Just a littlle weight. I can probably lift that with my pinky.

lorabell
wow!!!! that looks awesome!!!!!....Great Job!!!!!

bolivianbaby
navyscuba said:
Just a littlle weight. I can probably lift that with my pinky.

You're as crazy as the rest of us

navyscuba
I've been training weight training with the pinky fingers to be able to lift the stand. Just like the banana smiley shows.

bolivianbaby
navyscuba said:
I've been training weight training with the pinky fingers to be able to lift the stand. Just like the banana smiley shows.
-well said and well done

navyscuba
supplies

arty0049: So yesterday I got my water pump on the mail and when I got off from work I stopped to get some floss pads, casters, and carbon pad. Today I went and got the sponges that will take place of the bio-balls and my bulkhead fittings.

Tony G.
awesome! haha the sponges are funky haha!

Aquarist
Hello Navy! Wow! You've really come a long ways in a short amount of time. Everything looks wonderful!
I see you have some carbon pads. Would you tell me what your plans are for those.

I have some left over carbon filter pads (from a pond I didn't stock this year) and I decided to add them to my aquarium filters too. The pads are new as of past April. They are Supreme Pondmaster carbon coated media. It says on the package for Chemical and biological filtration, washable and reusable. So the way I see it is it can be used, left in the tank for bio media and rinsed in siphoned tank water. Would you agree that by rinsing them in the tank water that it should remove the unwanted particles collected by the carbon so it doesn't leak back into the tank? I think these would be great for additional bio media.

Keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to your updates!
Ken

navyscuba
Well Ken I got one for just in case because I don't use carbon unless I put meds but I probably use it like you said.

Well Got the piece of egg crate today I couldn't find it at Lowes so I checked Home Depot and they had it right there on plain sight. So pretty much waiting on a email response from a ebay seller to get the Diamond Hole Saws that I need to do the tanks overflows. I email the seller asking about the shipping to see if he could put both items on the same box to make shipping cheaper but the way he answer back at the email sounded a little rude so let's see after my email to see how he responds now. :;b

bigreddog
Looks great navy, just a quick question ,is yours 3 sections just stacked up? I am curios because I am going to be putting something similar together this weekend and I like your design. Thanks

navyscuba
Desing

bigreddog said:
Looks great navy, just a quick question ,is yours 3 sections just stacked up? I am curios because I am going to be putting something similar together this weekend and I like your design. Thanks
Do you mean the route of the pipes or the tanks?

bigreddog
navyscuba said:
Do you mean the route of the pipes or the tanks?
The sections of your stand I was talking about . I see you have plywood on each level in between the upright 2/4s and was just curios how the 3 sections were attached or built in 3 sections and stacked on top of one another. I'm just trying to figure it out before I start to build ,so I have something sturdy enough to hold up. Thanks in advance for any pointers x

navyscuba said:
So here is the stand pretty much finished with exception of the shell that will cover the bones of the stand. The first is after I just finished about 45 mins ago the next ones are loaded with tanks and sump on the bottom. Comments are
Kinda reffering to this pic

navyscuba
Well if you see on post #1 I have basically the esqueleton of the stand and then I secured the plywood to the 2x4's with screws and to support the next level I used a jig to use 3" screws. If you see on the side of the 2x4's on top of the plywood you can see black dots well those are 3" screws anchored in angle throuth the plywood down to the frame from below. Hope this helps.

Pump.

Ok guys and gals I put my pump to the test and look at this. So the pipe is 1/2" and about 7ft long and the pump shoots water about 1ft pass the end. haha I think this will work.

Gouramiguy17
LOL looks like fun

navyscuba
haha yeap is fun the bad part is getting soaked with water and the near freezing breeze hitting you. Brrrrrr. hahaha I didn't get wet but got close to it. ;D

bolivianbaby
You're going to have to make one for the kids next summer

navyscuba
Haha. You know what I got them a pool with a Zebra spitting water down to the pool to make up for the one that I used to soak the wood and is been about 3 weeks I got it and I haven't put it out for them yet. Is gonna have to be for next summer cuz is starting to get cold already.

Aquarist
Hello Navy. Great video! lol I think the pump will do just fine as well.
Ken

navyscuba
Thanks Ken Me too. If it shoots water 8' in the air I think it will do for 5' to the top tank.

So here is the scoop on the BAD news. Today I got my drill bit for the overflows from the tanks and I practice in one piece of glass and worked, but I did it on one of the new tank(walmart one) and it broke so this means I can't drill on 3 of my tank so why bother in drilling them at all so now I need a way to do overflow boxes for 7 tanks. I looked at ideas with the PVC ones and looks like it requires a lot of pipe and room for them. Any other DIY overflow ideas please.

bolivianbaby
Oh, no, Navy. I'm sorry. I'm worthless at this type of thing, but hopefully someone will be along shortly with some good advice for ya

navyscuba
Seriously Marie I feel like taking a hammer into everything right now and break everything I see.

bolivianbaby
Don't do that, then you won't be able to stock the tanks. You'll get this figured out. I have faith in you

There is no way you're the only person this has ever happened to, so SOMEONE will see this thread who can help you figure out another solution

Plus, you've busted your tail and done an AWESOME job on the stand. You definitely don't want all that hard work to go to waste. How are you supposed to post pics that we HAVE to see when you're done if everything's all busted up?

navyscuba
I'm so frustrated right now. I have spend more than $400 and is not even up yet.

bolivianbaby
No, it's not up yet, BUT you're getting close! It may be one of those projects that takes longer than expected. YOU WILL get there, though.

navyscuba
I'm back.

to all. I have been busy for a few days. I had my oldest daughter birthday stuff to take care and making 2 cakes yeap 2 because the first one collapsed it was way too heavy and we didn't put supports in between layers. Anyhow here are a few pics of the stand and the piping connections. The last pic is one of the valves to connect a hose to make water changes easy. comments and ideas are welcome.

bolivianbaby
Oh, my goodness, that looks TOTALLY AWESOME! Great job!

Tony G.
looking great riv! what's the next step?

dee34
wow that looks amazing , great job ..;D

Top Bottom