Cichlid Black Rash?

coolusername00

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? A few fish have it, but this was the only one that I could get good pics of.

A 40% water change is performed weekly. Tank size is 55 gallons with a Rena filstar xp xl filter. I have the spray bar pointed up to increase surface agitation.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40
Ph:7.8
Food:spirulina flakes/pellets, omega one cichlid pellets, norI sheets
bbd7dba2e0cdce52958dd519d980573b.jpg
4592e9b97deb012a13f20f46533a20c7.jpg
30fd003892ce9f1babaeff0be250c9b4.jpg
75a76891d4eb2dfd5f9e9a2b50facd3a.jpg
d4858f268045e1182578b72e7c711aaa.jpg
420c3f0a9b04460239ce764a63a50b22.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our members can throw some light on what this is.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just a fast google search ... Black-spot disease

These parasitic flatworms appear as tiny black spots on the skin, fins and flesh of fish. ... This organism does little harm to the fish. The main problem associated with black-spot is the unsightly appearance it may cause.

OP
coolusername00

coolusername00

Reaction score
I've had fatheads with black spot disease and this doesn't seem like the same thing. The bumps on the fatheads were raised, whereas the bumps on my cichlid are smooth, almost like a freckle on a person.

Also, I've never seen black spot with a rash like that. It's always been little spots.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coolusername00 said:
I've had fatheads with black spot disease and this doesn't seem like the same thing. The bumps on the fatheads were raised, whereas the bumps on my cichlid are smooth, almost like a freckle on a person.

Also, I've never seen black spot with a rash like that. It's always been little spots.
Sorry I can't help, I just seen the post and did a fast google search, hopefully you can figure the situation out

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s not Black Spot. Black Spot looks exactly like White Spot (ich) only black. Also a fish can only get Black Spot by eating a snail that has eaten bird poop from a bird that has eaten a fish with Black Spot. It’s a disease encountered on wild caught fish, it’s not a disease that can just appear in a tank.

Looks to me like slightly unusual normal colouration. Crabros have a lot of melanin colour cells than can make the fish go very dark (especially males). With fish generally, you can occasionally get a few pigment cells that are ‘on’ when they should be ‘off’ if that makes sense. It’s not usually a problem.

New Threads