Cichlid Black Rash?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by coolusername00, Jul 18, 2019.

1. coolusername00

coolusername00New MemberMember

Anyone know what this is? A few fish have it, but this was the only one that I could get good pics of.

A 40% water change is performed weekly. Tank size is 55 gallons with a Rena filstar xp xl filter. I have the spray bar pointed up to increase surface agitation.

Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:40
    Ph:7.8
    Food:spirulina flakes/pellets, omega one cichlid pellets, nori sheets[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope our members can throw some light on what this is.

3. OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Just a fast google search ... Black-spot disease

These parasitic flatworms appear as tiny black spots on the skin, fins and flesh of fish. ... This organism does little harm to the fish. The main problem associated with black-spot is the unsightly appearance it may cause.

4. OP
    OP
    coolusername00

coolusername00New MemberMember

I've had fatheads with black spot disease and this doesn't seem like the same thing. The bumps on the fatheads were raised, whereas the bumps on my cichlid are smooth, almost like a freckle on a person.

Also, I've never seen black spot with a rash like that. It's always been little spots.

5. OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Sorry I cant help, I just seen the post and did a fast google search, hopefully you can figure the situation out

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

It’s not Black Spot. Black Spot looks exactly like White Spot (ich) only black. Also a fish can only get Black Spot by eating a snail that has eaten bird poop from a bird that has eaten a fish with Black Spot. It’s a disease encountered on wild caught fish, it’s not a disease that can just appear in a tank.

Looks to me like slightly unusual normal colouration. Crabros have a lot of melanin colour cells than can make the fish go very dark (especially males). With fish generally, you can occasionally get a few pigment cells that are ‘on’ when they should be ‘off’ if that makes sense. It’s not usually a problem.