Cichlid being weird

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Divaof2, Jul 16, 2015.

1. D

Divaof2 New Member Member

Hi so I fed my fish before I went to bed last night everything was fine. Woke up this morning turned on the light everyone greeted me as normal all but my yellow Cichlid he was over by the rocks so I went to feed him an he still didn't come. I'm worried I'm stressed I'm instantly thinking bloat. He's being weird jus staying under the wood he's usually so active. Every now an then looks like he's trying to spit something out could he b chocking? Is he jus being weird? Has anyone else had an issue like this please help ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437094829.512602.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437095435.050327.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry your fish isnt acting normal. You did well describing what happened but in order for us to help you, we need more specific details.

What size tank are your fish in?
    What other fish and inverts are in the tank?
    How long has the tank been set up and is it cycled?
    Can you do a water test on your tank and give us the results (actual numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temp)?
    What food do you feed them?
    Do you have any plants in the tank?

All of these questions will helps us to give you possible solutions to the problem.

3. OP
    OP
    D

Ok I jus tested the tank my ph is 8.2 ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 10-20ppm tanks at 79d degrees 55 gallon has other Mbuna an 5 peacock all from 1-2 inches 1 baby Java fern in there

O I feed them omega one purple jar flakes

4. alink

Okay thanks for that info.

I am slightly concerned about the .25ppm ammonia reading. Sometimes that is a faulty kit, sometimes its an actual reading. You can test some bottled water and see what that shows. If it is also .25, then its likely your kit, if its 0, then you have ammonia in your tank and that COULD be the reason your fish is acting weird. 79 degrees seems a little warm, but I dont think that would cause the problem. I have heard that 76-78 is the target temp range for African cichlids. Just an FYI; Mbuna and Peacocks should not be housed together in the same tank because they are from different regions of the lakes. Mbuna live in the rock shorelines, and Peacocks live in the open water. They also have different food requirements. Mbuna are more vegetarian and Peacocks are more carnivorous. Also, some Peacocks will get 12 inches or more, which is too big for your tank, but I dont know which ones you have so I cant say if thats an issue.

As for the problem you are having now... I dont see how it could be choking on any of the food. If anything, maybe a piece of gravel, but that is highly unlikely IMO. I would say the Ammonia could be the issue, maybe lack of oxygen, or maybe it got in a fight with another fish.

I would monitor over the next couple days and let us know anything that changes. I dont see anything visually wrong with it in the pics.

5. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Your " him " Electric Yellow could actually be a " her " and is starting to carry eggs.
    Thats why " he " looks like he wants to spit something out, its the way the fish circulate water round the eggs.

6. alink

Being that the OP said the fish were 1-2 inches, I thought that they were too small to reproduce? I also thought that the pic was a female but wasnt sure.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Ok Ty I test some water from the tap it was 0. I bought the Mbuna an the peacocks at the same time the guy told me they were fine together so that's great lol. I only remember 3 of the names a blue regal a sunshine and a strawberry something

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

As if the LFS people would ever make an honest judgment when it came to a person's tank. We'd probably win the mega million jackpot before that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    D

I didn't go to petsmart or petco (I've learned my lesson buying fish from them with my other tank) I went to a place in Vallejo I thought it would b different.

10. Dom90

You really should do your homework and research the different types of fish and their compatibility and their natural habitat etc, how big they get, what tank size they need, etc before you go and buy the fish. Or you can ask people on forums such as this one, a lot of experienced people here.

11. alink

Or use your smart phone when you are there looking at fish and look them up before you buy them. You can test the store employees by asking them a few questions that you know the answer to... like what can I put in a 10 gallon tank or how big of a tank do I need for a common pleco or how many of [insert schooling fish name] do I need to get or what can I put with a common goldfish in a 30 gallon? You can get a good judgement on their knowledge from that and know if they are a reliable source of info.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    D

Yeah I guess I got a lil excited I did some research but being new to Cichlid I got confused. So should I get rid of the peacocks? I love my fish is impossible to keep them together?

13. Dom90

Yea it probably will be, since they have different habitat needs and dietary needs... LeoDiaz

14. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Your yellow labs looks healthy and not holding. I can really help if i dont really know whats in your tank. He might be getting bullied anyone being agressive towards him?

15. Dom90

She has mbuna and peacocks in the same tank and wants to know if this will work. I told her it wont because they have different habitat and dietary needs..

16. LeoDiaz

Ik that but if the yellow labs is the only mbuna. They do work with peacocks i need to know the whole stock list to see whats wrongs with it. Yellow labs are actually omnivores.

17. OP
    OP
    D

No one really bothers him everyone is actually pretty nice lol except for the guy in charge he's cool until u got next to his rock. I got some red zebra an acei a rusty I think a blue zebra (he's in charge) then a blue dolphin an Rhodesia? I know I'll have to re home them I told the dude I wanted like 5 inch fish come home to realize one get 9 inches an the other 13 but their only one inch right now. Fish store people suck they'll jus lie right to your face

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437104303.371399.jpg he's of charge or the Mbuna he totally ignores the peacocks

18. LeoDiaz

You can only have mbuna tank with all mbunas or and all peacock tank. So your going to have to rehome some. how big is your tank?

19. OP
    OP
    D

55 gallon

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437104751.939120.jpg that's the best I can get of my peacock in charge he's going crazy thinking ima feed them? Do u know what he is? An the blue one is he blue zebra?

20. LeoDiaz

55 gallon you can only have 2 species of mbunas or peacocks 1male-5/6 female so you choose 2 species you like and rehome the rest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice