Cichlid behavior Help

1. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Since adding rocks 2 pairs of cichlids seem to be mating. The largest 2 have been doing it a lot, but they both still come up and eat so I guess she has no eggs?

What I don't understand is these cichlids were born in captivity. So my thinking is they don't know what rocks are and that any sort of hiding spaces would be fine. After adding the rocks I can see that I was wrong. But how do they know what rocks are if they never saw them before? The largest male seems to be harassing his mate a lot more. Is it because the other females aren't even half his size?

2. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Instinct. While yes you are correct they have never seen that sort of thing before, they do still posess natural instincts. To eat, to breed, etc. They breed the same as the fish in the wild do because it comes naturally to them, they've never seen it to learn it afterall. They will adjust to anything you put in the tank eventually, as soon as they learn its safe. Rocks are just natural cover for cichlids.

3. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Like Slug said, it's all in the genes! Trust me, they've been scouring your tank for rocks for ages, now all of a sudden they found one! Imagine their joy! :-D

4. OP
    OP
    delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

lol, glad they enjoy their new home then. About them mating. Will a female stop eating the same day she starts mouth boarding?

5. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Usually Yes! My African female quit eating the day she started holding. I immediately moved her to a breeding tank, after a month the fry became free swimming, I Have all 25 fry still, went from about 1/8 in to about 3/4in now. Growing fast!