Cichlid advice

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Mer-max, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Hey so I'm doing planning for my 75 and wondered if anyone had the Snow White snocolofis?

As of now I've only gotten a few cichlids. 1 trophy, 3 labs , and a blue guy that looked like an elongated blue but isn't. He's real quick and hard to get a pic. Let me try asap

Can anyone help id him / recommend tank mates?

I like bright colors and moderate to large sizes. Don't like oscars, flower horns, jd's. . . Don't like any that look like " pond fish "

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I am sure someone on here will be able to identify your fish if you grab a photo. There is a great "ID" fish section on the forum.

3. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Jewel cichlids,Jack Dempsey's,Convicts, are all good cichlids. :)

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

It sounds like all of the cichlids you have are african, so american cichlids like jewels, JDs, convicts, oscars...etc won't be compatible.

Most of the fish you have are mbuna, so I'd stick with those when thinking about stocking. By trophy, I'm assuming you mean tropheus? Those are also not recommended to be kept with mbunas like labs or snow whites.

I'd be happy to ID your fish once a picture is posted :)

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Here's a few pics of the blue guy, labs and trophy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic is supposed to be of just the trophy but any time I approach the tank they think they are getting fed and swarm the tank

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure, but kinda looks like a johanny.

7. Gordinian

Hmm... I'm not sure what that fish could be... Is it actually that black, or does the camera just make it look darker?

The first thing that popped into my mind was an auratus cichlid, but it does look kinda like a really dark johanni too... ???

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

No, he is a lot more blue. My new lights come in Friday. Upon googling it he does look a lot like the johannis. He was listed as " assorted cichlid" but she said he was an electric blue. Am I correct on the trophy? And why is he not recommended with the labs? Cause the one I have schools with them - just curious.

9. Gordinian

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was a tropheus, though the picture was pretty blurry.

I wouldn't keep mbunas and tropheus in the same tank for a couple reasons:

1) they're from different lakes, and it's generally frowned upon to mix cichlids from different lakes, though it can and has been done.

2) they have slightly different diets.

3) tropheus are only aggressive to other tropheus in their tank, while mbuna are aggressive to everybody; you'll find that the tropheus will often be the one that's picked on, unless you've balanced the tank pretty well (which could mean having half tropheus/half mbuna in your tank).

I've heard of people being successful with mixing the two, I just wouldn't personally try it.

10. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Sorry about the pic. They are fast. And I'm using my iPhone.

So what commonly available Africans would you recommend? I like how the blue is so bright. Am I correct in thinking the females are all yellow? What are they called?

The tank sits by my dinner table so I'd like for it to be very flashy.

11. Gordinian

I'm not an expert on stocking when it comes to mbuna cichlids, so I'll just type up a quick list, and hopefully somebody can tell you what's compatible and what's not. I believe that most of these should be ok though:

*rusty cichlid
    *kenyi
    *saulosi
    *snow white

That's as long as you rehome the tropheus ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I like all those. Zebra rustys look cool

13. Gordinian

From what I've researched, rusties are often recommended to be kept with labs, so that'd probably be your best option.

In a 75, you could probably do 6 rusties, 6 yellow labs, 6 johanni, and maybe 2-3 other groups of six (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Edit: You'll also want to make sure that the male/female ratio is around 2:4, the more females the better. If you need help identifying which is which, just post a pic ;)

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Sounds good. Problem is finding those fish lol. Also - are the johanni females yellow? So if I did the 2:4 I'd have two blue males and the rest the ugly yellow females ?

15. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

16. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

So jewels are in again? Just a lower ph? I naturally have a 8.2 and of all my tanks everybody adjusts and does fine.

17. Gordinian

Yes, johanni females are yellow. That's the one bad thing about cichlids- you need more females than males, but females often aren't that pretty! Though johanni females aren't that bad IMO.

Really?? I thought I read a post from rogue saying that they were central american... Jewels are the only cichlid that really confuse me as far as where they come from!

Edit: I still wouldn't do jewels. They're less aggressive than the mbuna that you have/ are planning to get.

18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What are the female johannis called?

19. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-jewelcichlid.htm

That and I know for a fact cichlidnut keeps them in with his BPs, JD, Con, and Oscar! :p

They can definitely be aggressive if you have a breeding pair, very similar to how cons are, though I still wouldn't do them simply because of water parameter difference.

Which johannii? Melanochromis johannii or Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos?

20. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have Yellow Labs with Blue Cobalts, Orange Zebras, Albino Socolofi's and Redtops. They all do very well together. Just thought I'd add that. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice