Cichlid 20 gallon

1. eliscofield12

eliscofield12 Valued Member Member

I know y'all usually decide against this but I thought I would give it a chance. I would like to do a 20 gallon lake Malawi cichlid tank but it would not be your average cichlid tank. It would be like a juvenile tank I would get 3 yellow lab cichlids and 3 blue tail acei cichlids and breed them. Once their eggs hatched and were good to go on there own I would take them back and raise the young ones till I could take them to my pet store and then restart the cycle. I know it's not your traditional tank but I thought it would be a cool challenge and an escape from the everyday routine tank.

2. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Does anyone have anything to say about that.

3. f

fishayfishay1020 New Member Member

If i wanted to do a 20 gal african cichlid tank i would go with the smaller lake tanganyika species and breed those. If you decide to go that route i will buy some of your fry.:)

4. g

gilpi Valued Member Member

The ideal thing and what most people do, once the female is holding, is to put her in the tank by herself till she let's the fry go. Then you can raise the babies.
    Acei cichlids grow fast, mine are outgrowing all the fish in my Malawi tank, yellows not so fast.
    For the most part both yellow and Acei are semi-agressive as it is. In a 20 gallon there isn't too much room to hide and then ad to that breeding and the aggression level rises since they become very territorial.

5. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Would it be ok if I just did the yellow labs

6. f

They would still be agressive so i reccomend at least a 40 gallon breeder tank for malawi cichlids

7. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Ok what about gbrs'

8. f

A pair of german blues will definitely work in that tank

9. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Could I do 5 gbr 3 female 2 male

10. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think a 20 gal is too small for all of those GBRs. I'd stick with a m/f pair.

11. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Could I do 2 and 2. If not what tank mates could I do.

12. f

I would do a pair of gbrs and a school of 10 tetras and a couple ghost shrimp

13. OP
    OP
    eliscofield12

Could I do like 3 gbrs 6 cardinal tetras and 6 Kuhli loaches.

14. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Dwarf cichlids. I wanna do pseudotropheus saulosi in my 30 gallon but im being indecisive. You wouldnt want a cichlid that gets 5+ inches because they will be uncomfortable. Even if you got juveniles you would eventually have to upgrade tank or rehome them. So look into dwarf cichilds :)

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No. In a 20 gal high, either the dwarf cichlids or the kuhlis. And again, only a pair of GBRs in this size tank if you go that direction.

Those won't work for a 20 gal - they may stay small, but they need to be in groups and they need room for territories.