Cichild/Crayfish idea...

Marinero

Reaction score
Here's and idea for tank mate compatible with African Cichilds: Crayfish! Go to your local lake, pull out a couple of Crawdads (that's what we call them in the NW) and toss em in the tank with the African Cichlids and hopefully the crayfish could fend for themselves! And hopefully it's legal to pull em out of a lake and into your tank! ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And if your cichlids are small enough the crawdads(that's what we call them also) will kill them and you will have a crawdad tank Gotta watch compatability guys ;D
Carol

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Either the crayfish hassel the Africans or vice versa.

Not a winning combo.

Dino

OP
M

Marinero

Reaction score
Any suggestions for bottom feeder tank mates for African Cichlids? :-\

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank were you thinking of using?
Carol

OP
M

Marinero

Reaction score
:-\ I'm still gathering information but leaning towards a 30 gallon w/ 6 or 7 Africans with a small bottom feeder. I understand the africans get 4-6 inches and accordign to it's a good idea to 'control crowd' your tank and 'overfilter.' I hear the africans aren't as messy as the oscar for example. Anyway, that's where I am now. I might be open to a 45 g or 55 gallon but that might be a strech until I get a bigger place later in '06. :-\

dano569

Reaction score
a friend of mine recently bought a 40 gallon long and he has a bunch of mbunas in there.it's as long as a 55,but is not as tall.I like it because it's less of a reach to fix things on the bottom.just a suggestion.

New Threads