Help Cichid 2nd Week Juvie Did I Scare Him Or What

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
He usually hides but i just came from work and he was in corner n he thrashed around and hit glass and all i turnes light on to see if hes okay he goes crazy again hes in corner of tank w my light off rn I did waterchanger 40% every 3 days since i got him tommorow will be day 3 or 4 for the next water change tommorow one is due is it possible i just startled him/her?

Aqua Fan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi.

How long have you had the fish? He maybe just adapting to your tank.

Is there any tank mates that might be bullying him?

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi.

How long have you had the fish? He maybe just adapting to your tank.

Is there any tank mates that might be bullying him?
Just him in the tank and hes been in there lil over 2 weeks now

Ill check on him in a lil and do a waterchange

Last edited by a moderator:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea probably startled him. My angels in the fishroom (where there is no traffic) sometimes are startled if I immediately mess near their tank. It's probably because he's still getting used to the tank and surroundings. Yes they do use markers outside the tank (which is pretty cool)!

What kind of cichlid is he? What type of hides does he have?

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yea probably startled him. My angels in the fishroom (where there is no traffic) sometimes are startled if I immediately mess near their tank. It's probably because he's still getting used to the tank and surroundings. Yes they do use markers outside the tank (which is pretty cool)!

What kind of cichlid is he? What type of hides does he have?
Hes a rainbow cichlid juvie 1.5 inches or so and i got a small log to he outgrows it hes super shy n doesnt like me much but he at least looks at me thru the log now I guess haha I work 8 hour days so when I came in yesterday i didnt think bout the lights hope that was the issue lol i think ima leave light on for most of day so he can get used to the lighting so at night after work I don't scare him lol

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a light over the tank? If not, can you put the room light on a timer? I set my timers so the aquarium lights are on from 5pm until midnight so I can watch the fish when I get home from work. Especially if it's dark where he is. The sudden activity at nighttime and turning the light on would def scare him at first. He should warm up soon enough. Once he figures out you are the food guy lol.

Just want to compliment you on your fish choice. I never see these around and was always interested in keeping them. Maybe he'd feel better with a bit more cover? Maybe some fake plants or more rocks/logs? Fake plants can provide more cover above for him. I'm still considering them myself.

Last edited:

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have a light over the tank? If not, can you put the room light on a timer? I set my timers so the aquarium lights are on from 5pm until midnight so I can watch the fish when I get home from work. Especially if it's dark where he is. The sudden activity at nighttime and turning the light on would def scare him at first. He should warm up soon enough. Once he figures out you are the food guy lol.

Just want to compliment you on your fish choice. I never see these around and was always interested in keeping them. Maybe he'd feel better with a bit more cover? Maybe some fake plants or more rocks/logs? Fake plants can provide more cover above for him. I'm still considering them myself.
Its a 20 long so space is limited i thinka ima prepare a clay pot for him should be bog enough and i can take out that log

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The log is ok since he's using it for cover atm. Just some fake plants above it might help. Or live floating plants like water lettuce if there's enough light. If not, floating fake plants. What is he eating?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom