Chytrid Fungus On Adfs

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey guys. So someone is having problems with her ADFs dying. She asked about chytrid fungus. My frogs have never been sick so I’ve been listening to old posts on fishlore as well as other sites. I came across a researcher named Simon Clulow (I sure hope Siri got that right). I’d love to reference the report. Maybe I’ll figure it out.
Anyway, he’s discovered using very small amounts of salt can cure this fungus. In wild communities.
Evidently the amount is so small you can still drink the water. He was curing these frogs in February of this year in Australia. Next he’s going to Ecuador.
My question: what do you guys think? I promise I’ll try to figure out the link.
Now as y’all can tell, salt is my first line of defense. I’ll go to more intense drugs if I have to. But I’ve kept a lot of bad from going to worse using salt. It’s the amount that’s hard to explain to others. So many variables in every situation.
So tell me what you think without criticizing me too much for my reliance on old tried and true remedies. Lol.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Lamisil. Treat any new frogs to kill any spores they may be harboring.

Salt is hostile to many fungi. That is true. But getting the amount wrong can cause many issues in water creatures because the effect it has on fluid balance.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did a quick search for the information you found, and it looks like the first hits were from popular media (and they clearly came from a press release, caution flag). So I went looking for the peer-reviewed source material, with limited success.
The biggest red flag I found was that both of the popular media articles referred to a salt concentration of approximately 3-4 parts per thousand, but the source material describes 3-4 parts per trillion. For anyone keeping track, that’s a difference of six orders of magnitude. Small typo, big consequences.
If I read the summaries right, the researchers tested a range of concentrations from 1 through to 5 ppt, and found that 3 ppt was the sweet spot in terms of efficacy.
However they also found that while salting the water to that level protected the frogs from infection it did not eradicate the causal fungus from the water body. Ive read that chytrid can survive for seven weeks without a host, so you would need to treat an aquarium for at least that long to ensure it has been eradicated.
Maybe some readers here with experience on the salty side can comment on what 3ppt might translate to in terms of specific gravity, or whether such low concentrations are even achievable in aquaria?
All that said, among researchers, the most effective treatment appears to be an antifungal called itraconazole. Methylene blue also gets a lot of attention and research, but appears to be almost as hard on the frogs as it is on the disease.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom