Chronically Bloated Betta

kinsey12345

Hi! So, I am very new to keeping bettas and currently have a betta named Walter. He was donated to my place of work and had been kept in a tiny bowl for about a year by his previous family. I’ve been feeding him the pellets that the family brought with them, and i’ve just found out that they are not a very good quality so I am looking into ordering a new brand. The current brand is Zoomed. However, lately i’ve been having a lot of trouble with bloating, even when I soak the pellets in water before feeding. Someone also pointed out to me that he is a bit on the skinny side so I’m struggling with a balance of not making him bloat but also trying to put some weight on him. Does anyone have suggestions of a good feeding schedule for a betta that is prone to bloating? Especially until I get a new food for him. And also some good suggestions for a floating pellet food?

Current feeding schedule:

Monday: 3-4 frozen bloodworms
Tuesday: 3-4 pellets
Wed: 3-4 pellets
Thursday: 3-4 pellets
Friday: 1/4 cube frozen brine shrimp
Saturday: 3-4 pellets
Sunday: fast

I attached a picture of him right now to show his bloat.

Attachments

• 9E0E3835-98E2-41E6-9831-1E892D7F6A1E.jpeg
    9E0E3835-98E2-41E6-9831-1E892D7F6A1E.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 36198021-9FD6-46FE-B600-1609E7913BC2.jpeg
    36198021-9FD6-46FE-B600-1609E7913BC2.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 470C9F04-B761-423A-B5C8-B8FF79755AB9.jpeg
    470C9F04-B761-423A-B5C8-B8FF79755AB9.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 38

StarGirl

Are you soaking the food before giving it to him? Try some frozen Daphnia. Its supposed to relieve constipation.

UnknownGuppyLover

Try to feed him some peas. Many people have success by doing so. Blanch them from the frozen bags either by boiling or microwaving them.
As for food, I like giving Fluval Bug Bite pellets and Omega One pellets.

kinsey12345

Yes! But i have not tried the daphnia yet so i will do that!!
Try to feed him some peas. Many people have success by doing so. Blanch them from the frozen bags either by boiling or microwaving them.
As for food, I like giving Fluval Bug Bite pellets and Omega One pellets.
i will try that! thank you!! how many peas do you recommend and how often should i feed them?
Are you soaking the food before giving it to him? Try some frozen Daphnia. Its supposed to relieve constipation.
Yes! I have not tried the daphnia so i will do that!

StarGirl

Yes! But i have not tried the daphnia yet so i will do that!!

i will try that! thank you!! how many peas do you recommend and how often should i feed them?
The Daphnia will have the same effect as the peas. My fish love it. I would say feed it when he starts to look bloated. You could feed it once a week too. Maybe the day before his fast day to clean him out a little more? I have heard that if you make them flare that can help with digestion issues also because they tense up and it forces some poos out.

kinsey12345

The Daphnia will have the same effect as the peas. My fish love it. I would say feed it when he starts to look bloated. You could feed it once a week too. Maybe the day before his fast day to clean him out a little more? I have heard that if you make them flare that can help with digestion issues also because they tense up and it forces some poos out.
thank you!! i will try that!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
DiegosMom