Chronic egg eaters??

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

:;fruWell disaster has struck yet again. After having Mimic eat most of his eggs and Darwin eat all of his, I was really looking foreward to the hatching of my multi spawn. It was a HUGE spawn with eggs everywhere! I suspected trouble was brewing last night when I couldn't see any fry and couldn't really pick out any eggs and this morning it was confirmed...my multi male Apollo ate all of his eggs too...that's 3 egg eaters in one week! This is the second time for Darwin and Apollo to eat their eggs too.. Is this something they are going to do all the time? I haven't had to try removing a male and leaving the eggs to hatch on their own so I have no idea if that would even work..,any ideas or suggestions??:;fru

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

From my experience when a male eats the eggs there is something wrong..For you to have 3 males do it in one week is extremely rare...Did any of these spawns hatch or are they eating them before they hatch?

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

they all ate them before they hatched...within a few hours of the spawn. Darwin and Apollo have done this before but it is a first for Mimic

4. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Most likely the eggs did not get fetrilized...I have a male right now that ate his eggs a couple weeks ago..Bred him to a different female and all went well...

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I was wondering if that was the problem. Mimic was the one in the divided tank with Eros. When I removed Mimic, Eros collected some of Mimic's eggs and put them in his nest but the rest fell to the bottom and those are the ones that got fungus so bad...