chromis with red sores? Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Disease' started by nate21887, Apr 11, 2010.

1. nate21887

nate21887Valued MemberMember

my tank is fairly new, little over a month now. im not sure of my water parameters im getting it tested today, but anyway i have five green chromis and they are developing redish/pink spots that look like sores, do they have a fish disease i havent read about? i know when the light is off they retreat down into my live rock is it possible they may have just rubbed a few scales off?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Nate,
    I'm not a salt tank keeper but I'm sure once you post your readings/water parameters it will give others more to go on.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

3. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Hi there, not sure what size tank you have them in, but if it is a small tank it could be due to the ammonia and nitrites. Sort of like a bacterial infection, or sort oflike a burn. If that tank is big enough, than it cold still be a bacterial infection.

4. OP
    OP
    nate21887

my tank is 120 gallons, i took my water to a LFS to be tested and it came back, ammonia-0, nitrate-5ppm, nitrite-.5ppm, pH-8.4. this test was on the 11th so everything should be coming down be now, they had no idea to as what it might be?

5. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Without any pictures, I would opt out for a bacterial infection.

6. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

how long have they been in there ?? where they used to cycle the tank ?? have all of them got it ???

the red dots are normally when you have a ammonia , and if used to cycle then normally stay on the fish and dont go for some time , my chromis have red spots and have had for ages (over a year) and is very slowly going , its not nothing to worry about ,

7. OP
    OP
    nate21887

ok the tank was fairly new but i bought everything cured or live for the tank. the fish dont seem to be bothered, they are very active and eat great so i guess not to be worried to much but yes all of them have a spot or two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice