christmas tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by wxohio88, Dec 26, 2009.

1. w

wxohio88 New Member Member

I have a ten gallon freshwater tank. I just got a 37 gallon tank for christmas, I want to make this a saltwater. My question is, can I make the ten gallon a sump to increase it to 47 gallons overall and have my equipment in the lower tank? Also what all will I need to get started? I know the basics, but how do I need to clean the 10 gallon one?

2. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Putting the 10 gal. won't make it a 47 gal. aquariums. You can make the 10 gal. into a sump, but it might be to small to put anything in it other than a return pump and a small skimmer.

Would this be a reef, fish only, or fish only with live rock?

ATP,
    :;f:;fr:;fg

3. OP
    OP
    w

I'm not sayin it will make the tank itself a 47 but a total of 47 gallon cycle...so if something goes wrong it won't be as drastic...it will be fish with live rock and then a reef later on

4. N

Naeusu Valued Member Member

But it won't actually HOLD 10 gallons once you set the sump up....in a 10 gallon converted tank it may only hold an extra 2 or 3 gallons. If you really want to do that then you need an overflow (makes water go into the sump) and a return pump....a 10 gallon is way too small to add in a refugium so you just need some acrylic (or glass) and some silicone.

5. OP
    OP
    w

Should I just go with a wet dry system then??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice