christmas tank

1. wxohio88 Initiate Member

I have a ten gallon freshwater tank. I just got a 37 gallon tank for christmas, I want to make this a saltwater. My question is, can I make the ten gallon a sump to increase it to 47 gallons overall and have my equipment in the lower tank? Also what all will I need to get started? I know the basics, but how do I need to clean the 10 gallon one?

2. ATP Well Known Member Member

Putting the 10 gal. won't make it a 47 gal. aquariums. You can make the 10 gal. into a sump, but it might be to small to put anything in it other than a return pump and a small skimmer.

Would this be a reef, fish only, or fish only with live rock?

ATP,
    :;f:;fr:;fg

3. wxohio88 Initiate Member

I'm not sayin it will make the tank itself a 47 but a total of 47 gallon cycle...so if something goes wrong it won't be as drastic...it will be fish with live rock and then a reef later on

4. Naeusu Member Member

But it won't actually HOLD 10 gallons once you set the sump up....in a 10 gallon converted tank it may only hold an extra 2 or 3 gallons. If you really want to do that then you need an overflow (makes water go into the sump) and a return pump....a 10 gallon is way too small to add in a refugium so you just need some acrylic (or glass) and some silicone.

5. wxohio88 Initiate Member

Should I just go with a wet dry system then??