Chris's Mini Complete Tank!

ChrissFishes01

So, if you haven't seen them yet, Mini Complete Tanks are tiny acrylic tanks sold with a built-in sump and light. They're kind of a crowdfunded deal (from what I gather), and have been hits in some communities and misses in others - it seems that the freshwater crowd has mostly ignored it, despite there being some cool freshy tanks built with it. There's been more interest with the reefing community, though, so I decided to get one after seeing threads on them on other forums.

The entire thing is about as tall as an 8.5 oz bottle of Prime, and has a total water volume of .39 gallons before sand, rock, and equipment.

I actually got it for Christmas last year, and honestly, played with it for like an hour and forgot about it until I knocked it off my windowsill last weekend. Oops. It was just full of tap water, and the entire thing is acrylic and plastic, so it's all good - but it was a nice kick in the butt to get it set up.

I've decided to do a soft coral/zoa/maybe some macroalgae tank - basically, throw it in there and see what sticks. I am not heating it, mainly because I don't trust any heater to not cook the thing, and there's no room for a temperature probe on a controller unless you mod the sump, which I'd rather not do until I've played with the thing just a little. Room temperature should be okay as long as I stick to hardy stuff - it never gets below 68 or so in this room, and it's got a sump pump, so that'll add a bit of heat.

I went ahead and got some sand from a bucket - just plain aragonite. It was live, but it's been in that bucket for a while, so I assume anything that was alive is now dead. I rinsed the sand a few times, and although I'm sure there's some dead organic material left in the sand, it should be okay. The rock I'm using is just chunks off of a piece that I've been keeping in a bucket. Should be cycled and well-established, and I used a decent amount of it - for the size tank it is.

I went ahead and threw in two micro ceriths, as well as a hermit crab. To give them something to eat in the meantime, I put in a GHA-covered macroalgae frag - hopefully they'll leave the macro alone, but we'll see. I also threw in a half-dead zoa frag, since it's not really recovering in my 10 gallon. It spread onto the rocks, and the polyps left on the plug were severely shaded and ended up how you see them here.

Terrible pic, I know. It's still cloudy, and the tank is very blue - I might have to mod the light, if I can find instructions for it.

Long-term, I don't know if I have plans for the tank. I wanna see how things go with it - I think it might be cool to do some modding, grow some tiny frags, and maybe add something like a small Bumblebee Shrimp (and remove the hermit). Something tiny that would go unappreciated in a larger tank. Then again, I may lose patience with it and dump it back into a reef tank next week. Who knows!

Yeoy

It's a cool little setup. They might not get much attention in the freshwater world as they're really too small to do anything. I'd be hesitant to keep more than a breeding pair of freshwater shrimp in that, and there's not really any commonly available fish that would do well in it either.

ChrissFishes01

It's a cool little setup. They might not get much attention in the freshwater world as they're really too small to do anything. I'd be hesitant to keep more than a breeding pair of freshwater shrimp in that, and there's not really any commonly available fish that would do well in it either.
You're right - they're designed mostly for plants and coral. Most of the freshwater setups I've seen have been aquascapers playing with it - that's really the purpose of this tank. It's a toy.

Tank is running around 72 this morning - chilly, but this is the coolest it should be all year. I have a window-mounted AC, so it keeps this room the coolest. If need be, I could move the tank into the living room that stays a bit warmer in the summer, and move it back into the bedroom during the winter (where the heat is).

Took some pics this morning, now that it's cleared. Also edited the colors on my PC to try and take some blue out.

First, a FTS now that you can see into the tank!

And a close-up of the hermit - not that you really need one in such a small tank, but y'know.

These are the zoas I added - I circled the only open polyp, and drew arrows towards the ones that are entirely closed and melted.

I also did a quick mod last night for flow. Using the stock configuration, the flow is nonexistant. It's blown into the return chamber at the bottom, and drifts up the chamber and lazily falls into the tank. Not good. I saw some people using rigid RO tubing and an airline splitter to have the flow go directly into the tank, so I improvised with some soft airline and an air valve. It's ugly, but it works for now!

Mhamilton0911

Cool! I'll be following!

ChrissFishes01

The Hermit Crab has been hard at work - he's been cleaning all the hair algae off the macro frag. He's also big enough in this tank to knock over rocks and frags, so... yeah, things have been moving on their own, lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
Willj626
Replies
Views
PNWAquatics
Replies
Views