Choosy Ramshorns

mollyboy13

This is my first post here. I've been keeping fish for decades. Right now I have two nano tanks, 5 1/2 gallons each. Both are well-planted with java fern and frogbit. One has a school of gold White Clouds, and the other a green alien betta.

Recently, I got a shipment of ramshorn snails. As the betta tank was being dosed for fungus (someone sold me a fish with fungus by mail!), I set up a 1 1/2 gallon for half of the snails; there is a tufa rock covered with java fern in it, and they soon began doing the "snail thing."
I put the other half in with the White Clouds.
After a few hours, the snails in with the minnows stopped moving completely, even though they were clearly alive. After a few days, I put them in with the other snails and they're all acting normal.
After purging the meds from the tank of the now fungus-free betta, I put a snail into the betta tank. The same things happened.

The water parameters in all three tanks are identical: 0 nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia; pH 7.0; water on the soft side, though I use calcium tablets. Temps are 80 for the betta, 70 for the White Clouds.
I can't figure out why the snails are not moving in those two tanks!

Any explanation and solution would be quite welcome!

awilkinson871

Possibly self preservation? Snails will see the fish as possible predators causing them to hide or only move around when hidden well or when the fish are sleeping.

mollyboy13

Possibly self preservation? Snails will see the fish as possible predators causing them to hide or only move around when hidden well or when the fish are sleeping.
Thanks for the reply. That would make sense, but the snails don't even move at night. They stay put for days until I put them in the snail tank.
Though it may be that they've never seen fish before, and it is strange to them. I got them from a breeder on ebay. Big, healthy natural colored snails!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aguasfrescas
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Lsurtees
Replies
Views