Choosing The Right Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by WittyName, Apr 13, 2017.

1. W

WittyName New Member Member

Starting a new tank and in week 2 of a fishless cycle.

Looking into what fish to add.

1 x albino bristlenose pleco
    15 x cardinal tetra
    15 x rummy nose tetra
    3 x angelfish

For a beginner tank how does this sound for a 40 gallon breeder tank?

My filter is a HOB pinguin 350 modified with an added foam on the intake... extra foam in the filter with bio ceramic rings behind the foam on both sides. I ditched the included filter cartridges.

Planning on 30%-40% bi weekly water changes.

I already have the pleco... I've had him for 5 years in a 8 gallon. Got the upgrade for him.

Also in what order should i add? Angel first or tetras first. Who needs to have the tank to themself first?

Any advice so I do this the right way... I'm an animal lover and the last thing I want is a miserable fish in my care.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

Everything for the most part sounds good. I don't know a lot about temperature compatibilities though, so others will chime in. But I would only get 2 angels as 2 will most likely pair up and bully the third. Also the angels might try the eat the tetras when the are small. Not sure though.

3. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

What size tank are you looking at stocking?

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, 3 is not a good number for angels.

The BN pleco needs cooler water than the rest of the stock, a clown pleco would work though.

@max h I think the OP states it's a 40 breeder

5. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with above; the BN pleco need cooler water than cardinals, rummynose and angelfish. 3 angels isn't a good idea, as they can fight together.

I suggest getting 2 angelfish and maybe a school of sterbai cories at the bottom of the tank

7. OP
    OP
    W

WittyName New Member Member

I have the bristlenose already... I was planning on trying to keep the tank at 76 For all the fish. Would that not keep everyone happy?

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The BN would prefer water below 75f while the rest of the stock would be good at 78-80f

9. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Keep the tank at 78.

Lower the schools to 10-12 and the angels to a pair. The bn will do fine.

10. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

I do that all the time..... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice