choosing the right filter

stanley

Reaction score
hi,
I am trying to set up a new tank for the first time, and i'm finding it difficult to choose the right filter. It is a UK fifteen gallon tank and believe that it would be best to have an internal filter ( I like the look of the Eheims range ?) however, the different models seem to go up to 15 gallons or start at 15 gallons, which is the best option, can anyone tell me ?
Also I have read that if you are using live plants that it is best to have a separate co2 source, is this necessary ?
thanks

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I perfer HOB filters as they usually have more room for media along with not cluttering up the inside of the tank, as for size get 15 gallons and up try to have 10x gph than your tank size so for yous 150gph filter would be good. eheim are good filters not sure if they make hob(hang on back) Aquaclear's and penguin bio-wheel are also good filters as for co2 only if you plan on having a tank with lots of light otherwise you don't need it, it helps with plant growth though, I have a DIY co2 going now.

Welcome to fishlore glad to have you with us

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore!  Thanks for becoming a member!  

Eheims are generally top of the line filters.  I have seen some EheI'm HOB filters, but have not read any comments about them.  Aquaclears are very popular with hobbyists here in the states, and they are less expensive.  ATM is right on about how many gph you need.  Don't go by what the box says when it tells you it's rated for a 15 gallon tank.  Look at the gph rating instead.

CO2 is only necessary if you are really into plants and have high lighting.  Although some of the most beautiful tanks you see online are run with CO2 beside the added expense, they also run the risk of killing all their fish if the CO2 system malfunctions.  The CO2 affects the amount of oxygen in the tank and too much can suffocate the fish.  My recommendation is if you are new to plants, and want to start slow and easy, go for the low tech tank which can be quite beautiful.  There are lots of plants available out there that don't require special lighting or CO2, and look great in your tank.  Here's a great article about starting a planted tank that will help you out a lot:

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
stanley said:
thanks, great link.
Yes it is, and the folks on their forums are top notch. Off-Ice has the healthiest plants you would ever want to own in your tanks. I know they have some UK members also.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya definitely do not get co2 for the first time, you want to understand plants first. I just added co2 DIY way which is almost impossible to harm your fish with and it does cause different problems in the beginning that you don't want to have to deal with. Gunnie I hope to order some plants from off-ice with permission from my mom soon, I'v only heard good things about them.

New Threads