Choosing schooling fish for 150 gallon

1. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

How many schools do people recommend for a 150 gallon?

I'm definitely starting with a small school of roseline sharks in this tank, but I definitely want at least one other school in here.

Here's the schooling species I am considering so far, though I am definitely open to new suggestions!

Glass catfish OR Indian Glassfish (I want a clear species for sure!)
    Swordtails
    Penguin Tetras
    White Skirt Tetras
    Otos
    Corydoras Aeneus mix of albino and bronze

I am pretty confident that cories won't make the schools look like a mess but I'm not terribly clear on where the other types of fish swim in the tank and how tightly they school.

What would you guys do?

2. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I will always recommend green fire tetras! I don't think anyone chose them so far though.. :(
    They don't look like much hen you look at stock pictures but they zoom around and have the coolest courting display. The males do little wiggle dances and their fins turn black and white.

greenfire.jpg
    20160103_172110.jpg

Male courting
    20160104_083733.jpg

I got tiny babies recently which have been schooling with my glowlights but generally they stay near the top of the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    s

How big do those get? Looking 2 to 4 inch fish i think since the tank is so big. They are really pretty though!

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What about some rainbow fish? Bosamanis get large and are beautiful, you can also "mix and match" different types of rainbows together.

5. OP
    OP
    s

Boesamanis are a little too warm water for my roselines, the overlap is 77 exactly so I don;t think either species would be very comfortable, Praecox rainbows though seem to have a larger cool temp range overlap and the pretty blue/red/silver seems complementary to my roselines silver/black/red/yellow. And they are a different shape of schooling fish so I'm leaning towards those! THanks for the rabbit hole of research!

Ruling out otos as too small, I want a leopard Ctenopoma as my big centerpiece fish, I think otos might be at risk of being eaten. And I've decided I like the look of
    Indian glassfish better than the glass catfish.

The revised list:
    Penguin tetras
    Praecox Rainbowfish
    Indian Glassfish (100% getting these at least)
    Tricolor swordtails
    White Skirt Tetras
    Bronze/Albino Corys

What wouldn't look good together off this list? Any behavior issues between these species I haven't figured out yet?

I'm looking at keyholes cichlids and peacock gudgeons which are bottom level, maybe I should drop the cories?

6. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know about the keyholes, but i know rams are fine with cories. The gudgeon should be fine as well. I don't think there's any behavioral issues on that list. Once yo figure out your list and stock it you'll have to post some pictures! I bet they'll be beautiful... Although I can't say for sure if they'll look good together, I bet they will.

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You could do cories with gudgeons and keyholes in a 150.

Sword tails are not schooling

Some schooling fish I like that would work and are larger would include tetras like lemons, diamonds, skirts, black phantom, emperor, and congos. Praecox or turquoise rainbows would work. Silver dollars are also an option.

8. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidron Valued Member Member

Turquoise rainbow fish are very pretty and like cooler waters than the boesemani. Keyholes will be fine with the cories and are very peaceful in general.

9. OP
    OP
    s

So this is overstocked I'm sure but not sure what/where I should cut down the list, dropped swordtails since they don't school and white skirts since they are similar in color and shape to the keyholes.

100% want these species, number could wiggle though

6-8 Roseline sharks - I have 8 in quarantine as of today but it's day one again as I'd already lost 3 of 6 purchased last week.
    2-3 Keyhole Cichlids - I really like the look and size of these
    8-10 Indian glassfish - need a clear fish for the theme of this tank
    1 Royal Farlowella Catfish - these are so cool looking!
    2-3 Peacock Gudgeons - another dream fish!

Fish I'm more willing to cut from the tank
    10 to 15 each Penguin tetras and forktail rainbowfish
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 Leopard Ctenopoma
    6-8 Cories

Which would you pull out of the list and why?

10. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

They get to 2 inches. They are on the small end of what you want but they travel together nicely and cover a good amount of ground.
    This is the best video I found of them schooling. If they are very relaxed in their environment they will wander a bit.
    [video=youtube;ZrP6BCum3V8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrP6BCum3V8[/video]

Here is a silly video of the dance!
    [video=youtube;2V8ecj3JMTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V8ecj3JMTw[/video]

11. OP
    OP
    s

I think these would look great in my smaller tank with my ember tetras! Thanks for the recommendation!

12. OP
    OP
    s

So after an insane amount of research and watching youtube videos on various species I think I have a starting stocking list to work from! In order of priority:

6 roselines....If I can get any to survive QT, I'd honestly be happy with 3 at this point ugh....
    2-3 keyhole cichlids...hoping to order a trio of juveniles and hope for 1m/2f
    4-6 peacock gudgeons...these are small, beautiful and theoritically not too difficult to breed, it would be cool to sell some juveniles back to the lfs.
    8-12 Indian Glassfish
    5-7 female bettas various colors
    2 vampire shrimp
    2 bamboo shrimp
    1 Royal Farlowella catfish
    12-18 forktail rainbowfish

Depending on how I like the look of the tank and losses...
    12-15 diamond tetras
    5-7 turquoise rainbowfish

13. OP
    OP
    s

14. OP
    OP
    s

Ugh. well after losing 16 roselines in total over a few weeks think I'm going to abandon them as an idea and stick with tetras and rainbowfish. Got diamond tetras and bosemanis in qt for almost two weeks now so hopeful they will actually make to the big tank. Maybe go warmer water and get an angelfish?