Choosing right tank for betta and plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiah

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey! So I'm hoping to get a smaller tank for a betta, around 5 gallons and under, just somethings to put on my desk. However, i really want to get lots of live plants and make a little betta paradise. Looking at petsmart, most of these smaller aquariums come with usually an LED lighting system. Does anyone have any experience with growing plants in these tanks? Will these lights be bright enough? below are some examples of tanks i'm looking at.

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/aquariums-stands/fluval-chi-aquarium-kit-zid36-16781/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-16781&_t=pfm=category

Thanks!

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't believe the stock lights on any of those tanks are going to grow plants well.

You could do a Fluval Spec tank (III or V) and use a Finnex fixture on them. I have a Fluval Spec V that used to use a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ for growing plants.

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The light on the spec v will grow plants. They just have to be low light plants. I have some sort of supposed Amazon sword and water wisteria and newly added frogbit in mine and they are both growing. As well as Java moss and soon to add some anubias when I get my new driftwood
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438108659.674019.jpg. However I would like to mention that the pump for the filtration is incredibly strong current for a betta so I had to poke holes in the return tubing as well as place some filter foam in the outlet nozzle to make it betta friendly

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The light on the spec v will grow plants. They just have to be low light plants. I have some sort of supposed Amazon sword and water wisteria and newly added frogbit in mine and they are both growing. As well as Java moss and soon to add some anubias when I get my new driftwood
View attachment 174197. However I would like to mention that the pump for the filtration is incredibly strong current for a betta so I had to poke holes in the return tubing as well as place some filter foam in the outlet nozzle to make it betta friendly
Looks nice! For some reason mine wouldn't even grow low light plants. My Spec V wasn't even as bright.

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks nice! For some reason mine wouldn't even grow low light plants. My Spec V wasn't even as bright.
If you have hard water like me a film of white lime residue builds up on the light so every month or so I wipe it down with white vinegar. That cleans it off and makes a huge difference

aquaman86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try hornworts. They grow crazy under low to med lighting. I used something like that once but put it on my desk which gets some sunlight. They still grew and was easy to propagate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you have hard water like me a film of white lime residue builds up on the light so every month or so I wipe it down with white vinegar. That cleans it off and makes a huge difference

The water here in Florida is very hard, I don't have a gH/kH test kit, but my pH out of the tap is 7.8 so I know it's a bit up there.

I have never thought to try cleaning the lights, only the glass tops on my other tanks. I'll have to give that a try some time. Only thing is, I already took the tank down and made it into a pico reef, which will need a lot more light than the stock light on the Fluval V can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom