Choosing right tank for betta and plants.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by josiah, Jul 27, 2015.

1. j

josiah New Member Member

Hey! So I'm hoping to get a smaller tank for a betta, around 5 gallons and under, just somethings to put on my desk. However, i really want to get lots of live plants and make a little betta paradise. Looking at petsmart, most of these smaller aquariums come with usually an LED lighting system. Does anyone have any experience with growing plants in these tanks? Will these lights be bright enough? below are some examples of tanks i'm looking at.

Thanks!

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I don't believe the stock lights on any of those tanks are going to grow plants well.

You could do a Fluval Spec tank (III or V) and use a Finnex fixture on them. I have a Fluval Spec V that used to use a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ for growing plants.

3. r

raif281 Valued Member Member

good question in also interested in a small betta tank

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd go with the Top Fin 5.5 gallon starter kit, it's the cheapest one of the bunch.

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

The light on the spec v will grow plants. They just have to be low light plants. I have some sort of supposed Amazon sword and water wisteria and newly added frogbit in mine and they are both growing. As well as Java moss and soon to add some anubias when I get my new driftwood
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438108659.674019.jpg . However I would like to mention that the pump for the filtration is incredibly strong current for a betta so I had to poke holes in the return tubing as well as place some filter foam in the outlet nozzle to make it betta friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. LiterallyHydro

Looks nice! For some reason mine wouldn't even grow low light plants. My Spec V wasn't even as bright.

7. Jswin

If you have hard water like me a film of white lime residue builds up on the light so every month or so I wipe it down with white vinegar. That cleans it off and makes a huge difference

8. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

Try hornworts. They grow crazy under low to med lighting. I used something like that once but put it on my desk which gets some sunlight. They still grew and was easy to propagate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I would recommend getting a 5+ gallon tank. If you want plants but can't find the right lighting I suggest low to none light plants like anacharis, hornwort, java moss, and Marimo moss balls. Goodluck!

10. LiterallyHydro

The water here in Florida is very hard, I don't have a gH/kH test kit, but my pH out of the tap is 7.8 so I know it's a bit up there.

I have never thought to try cleaning the lights, only the glass tops on my other tanks. I'll have to give that a try some time. Only thing is, I already took the tank down and made it into a pico reef, which will need a lot more light than the stock light on the Fluval V can provide.

11. Jswin

I do it on all my lights because they all get that film and lose brightness. Every other water change or so

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice