Choosing Mates For Dwarf Gourami

Drummerking

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Carlos, I’m new here and glad to discover such a nice website like this. I’m new to fish keeping and I have a Dwarf Gourami (I believe so) I’ll post a picture of it.

IMG_1427.JPG

I have an Aqueon 10 gallon tank, my tank is already cycled, I’m planning to add 8 Neon Tetras and 4 Danios. Will that overstock the tank? Are those the right one to co-exist with Dwarf Gourami? If not what would you recommend (species and quantity)?

This is my arsenal to keep my tank as a 5 Star Resort :

1-Seachem Purigen
2-Seachem Prime
3-Seachem Stability
4-Seachem ParaGuard
5-Seachem NutriDiet Tropical (with GarlicGuard and probiotics)
6-API master liquid test kit.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can't have any of the medium sized schooling tetras in anything less than a 20. I'm also guessing you are talking about zebra danios which are a colder water species and aren't compatible with the other fish. They also need to be kept in schools of at least 6 in order to be correctly cared for. You don't have many options especially with the Dwarf Gourami. The best way to fill your tank is to get rid of the gourami and putting in some of the micro tetra or rasbora species.

Drummerking

Reaction score
Thank guys for your responses @DutchAquarium and @Becknewt24

So I am planning to go to a 20 gallon tank then. So after I get the 20 gallon tank and making sure it gets cycled , what are the mates that can be together with the gourami?

I will get for sure 8 to 10 Neon tetras. (Is that ok?) can I add anything else?

Thank you!

Smudge9000

Reaction score
You could maybe add a snail or two, tanks are always nicer looking when they are under stocked imo (and easier to take care of)

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Drummerking said:
Thank guys for your responses @DutchAquarium and @Becknewt24

So I am planning to go to a 20 gallon tank then. So after I get the 20 gallon tank and making sure it gets cycled , what are the mates that can be together with the gourami?

I will get for sure 8 to 10 Neon tetras. (Is that ok?) can I add anything else?

Thank you!
Hmm. Not sure. Some dwarf gourami can be peaceful (as mine was) or aggressive. It would really depend on his personality.

LPM

Reaction score
From what I have, neons are a nice addition to a 10 gallon. I don't have many at the moment (as I'm just starting to add more), but I'd say a small shoal of 5 or so would be nice. My Dwarf Gourami hasn't been territorial towards them.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LPM said:
From what I have, neons are a nice addition to a 10 gallon. I don't have many at the moment (as I'm just starting to add more), but I'd say a small shoal of 5 or so would be nice. My Dwarf Gourami hasn't been territorial towards them.
Neons are too active for a 10 gallon. And 5 isn't enough for a school.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom