Help Choosing Light For 5g With Low Light Plants That Won't Be Too Harsh

fish4us

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm setting up a 5 gallon temporary home for my nerites and low light plants while I redo my low light and low tech 20. Eventually this small tank will be used for a QT for fish and or plants. I have mostly anubias, java, moss ball, amazon sword. The tank is 8x16 inch (12 high) with a rI'm and has a hinged glass top. If I get a clip on it has to fit on the back side due to the cover, or sit over the glass. I've been looking on amazon and my head is swimming. I do want a light that will keep the plants going, (and don't mind a bit of algae for the snails) but some of the better options for small tanks seem almost too strong. I don't want the plants to burn or make an algae soup. I found this one (used for only $18) which seems like a good deal - does anyone think it's enough for the low light plants:
Aqueon clip on led:

Or was considering one of these but I'm concerned would they be TOO much light?
Mingdak led:

Hygger:

I've got kids so safety is a big concern, don't want anything too easy to knock over, and also needs to look halfway decent since this tank will sit in a common area of the house. Any and all opinions welcome! thanks in advance!

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finnex Stingray would probably be the best choice disregarding price. I have them on my 10 gallon (lowish light) tanks, but for some reason, the 16 inch light is more expensive than my 20 inch version. But they are really slender and look good on the thank.

OP
F

fish4us

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
_Fried_Bettas_ said:
Finnex Stingray would probably be the best choice disregarding price. I have them on my 10 gallon (lowish light) tanks, but for some reason, the 16 inch light is more expensive than my 20 inch version. But they are really slender and look good on the thank.
Yes, I looked at the Finnex, but I also noticed the price increase for the 16 and that doesn't seem right. I see that the 12 inch is more affordable but I can't tell from the s if it would sit on the tank ok or not. The clips are clear and I can't tell if there are "feet" so it would be stable resting on glass if it didn't cover the whole tank. Can you give me any clues on the clips?

OP
F

fish4us

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anyone have any opinions on the other lights I referenced if the Finnex isn't going to fit?

Elle2128

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a clip on Mingdak light. My tank is 10x10 so I haven't found something small enough that isn't a clip on. So far is seems decent, but I haven't had it long enough to say too much. It definitely isn't harsh at all.

Piaelliott

Well Known
Reaction score
When I had a 5.5 gal tank I used an Ikea light. It was fine for low light plants.

OP
F

fish4us

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Piaelliott said:
When I had a 5.5 gal tank I used an Ikea light. It was fine for low light plants.
Piaelliott Funny thing is, we have one of those lamps next to the bed as a reading light. It sure is bright, but didn't think it was good enough to sustain plants. Unfortunately, the little table my tank is on doesn't have room for a desk lamp on it, but good to know this might work if I needed it in a quick pinch. I was first considering using a floor lamp with a bright bulb but the smaller tank lights are a lot sleeker looking.

Piaelliott

Well Known
Reaction score
fish4us said:
Piaelliott Funny thing is, we have one of those lamps next to the bed as a reading light. It sure is bright, but didn't think it was good enough to sustain plants. Unfortunately, the little table my tank is on doesn't have room for a desk lamp on it, but good to know this might work if I needed it in a quick pinch. I was first considering using a floor lamp with a bright bulb but the smaller tank lights are a lot sleeker looking.
Funny Those little lights come as a clip on too

New Threads