choosing heaters....

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so in my plans to set up breeding/growout tanks, I decided I should get heaters for several tanks, as well as some backup ones. So I need some dependable heaters, in bulk, for both 10 and 40 gallon tanks. Any opinions on economical + dependable heaters? where to buy them?

I have a visi-therm on the way, but i still need at least 5 more, probably more (i haven't decided yet)

Anyone used the Via-Aqua or penn plax Cascade heaters? They are both about half the price of the visi-therm.

I've read some threads about the stealth pro's exploding or something to that effect, so I didn't want to mess with them.

I know that when it comes to equipment like this, you get what you pay for, but I don't want to pay out the ears if I don't have to.

My eventual goal is to have a room, probably either a garage or detached workshop with heating/cooling, so I can just set the entire room to a certain temp and have all the tanks up to 78 or 80 via ambient temperature. I think that will be cheaper overall, especially if i have a dozen or more tanks going.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use the all glass(Aqueon) submersibles. 50's on my 10's and 200 in my 38 community. They range from about $25-$35(50w-300w) depending on where ya buy em but I like em cause they are "submersible". I think the temp is only + or - 1 degree on those that I have seen so far.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't like the Tetra brand that they put in their tank kits.

blasto172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the aqueon suggestion. I have a 50 watt in my 10 gal that works great. I paid about 27 at my lfs. Also there customer service is spectacular; my first heater got a leak at the the thermostat knob. When I had noticed it there was an inch of water at the bottom of the heater yet It was working fine. Contacted there customer service line and left a message with there warranty guy, was called back in 20 min., and had a replacement in less then a week. I didn't even have to send in the old heater.

I was going to use 2 200 watt heaters on my 55 gal as well but changed my mind and went with a hydor ETH (External Thermal Heater) 300 watt.I planned on using a canister filter anyway and I heard good things about them and external heaters in general. Still got 1 aqueon 200 watt (about 32.00) as a back up.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have any experience with Aqueon heaters, but after years of use I can wholeheartedly recommend Ebo Jager heaters. They are awesome. Super reliable, I have never had one fail after years of use.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've also heard good reviews on Jager heaters, I believe they are made by Eheim?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm harpua you are the 2nd seller I know that promotes ebo-jager, the other one I know you know, the wonderful invert lady on ac.

I may just bite the bullet and go with quality, it beats replacing them every year or two, and mostly I want peace of mind that i'm not having poached fish

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's the thing about aqueon, I could get it, but at LFS prices I can have something comparable mailed in, thus the crux of my problem.

Here's the ebo-jager at one of the cheapest places i've found (and happen to be ordered other stuff from anyhow lol)

my only question is, it has a water line on it, and it's not fully submersible ? I've read conflicting opinions that people submerse theirs anyway, and others that say that it will start to leak voltage in time if fully submerged..hmph.

*edit*
and now i'm reading that they had a hard time getting a UL listing for being waterproof but now they have it so the newer models are listed as submersible o_o

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine have been 100% submerged for several years in most cases. I got on the Jager kick when I realized the LFS I used to work for had been using Jagers for years without issue.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Choosing a heater can be hit or miss sometimes. Personally this is one area of the hobby that I don't like to take the cheapest way out.

I have some Visi Therm Stealth heaters (no indicator lights) and I have 3 Stealth Pros in my 265g (with indicator light that changes color from red to green, I like that To date, I haven't had any issues with any of these heaters. I added the Stealth Pros to my 265g Dec. 2009.

I've also used Ebo-Jager heaters in the past. They also did very well. Used them for many years. I did have to replace one or two but that was over a very long stretch of time.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads