Choosing a Stand...

1. WolfPack21 Member Member

Hi Everyone, I am getting a 55 gallon soon and I need to help choosing a stand. I have found a common stand that many people use which has a "open bottom" or no wood under the tank. So it would have support around the edges of the tank. Is this safe of a fish tank to sit on or should I go with a stand that has a flat "full" piece of wood under it? Thanks and I hope this is clear enough.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It's safe enough. The weight of the tank is supported around the perimeter (the bottom frame). The tank was designed for this.

3. pepetj Well Known Member Member

As long as the stand is designed to hold a four footer, chances are it was built to hold a 55 gal tank safely.

It is the bottom perimeter (in framed tanks) that transfer the tank load. At least for small tanks (90gals or below) if you have a frameless (usually custom built if glass but common in acrylic tanks) an even surface to rest the whole bottom of the tank might be required.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. rt12 Member Member

If it is big enough and if it is made out of strong steel or iron it is fine 55 gallons can weigh 500+ lbs at time. Often on the box the stand comes in it states the carrying capacity try checking there

5. WolfPack21 Member Member

The stand is wooden and is a "open top" type of stand. And I have read that it may not be safe to keep a 50+ plus tank on this type of tank? Is this true and do I really need to buy a type of stand that has a "closed top?"

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Regardless of whether the top of the stand is open or solid, the tank sits only on the perimeter.

7. WolfPack21 Member Member

Well thats where my question is...the middle (or the long side of the tank) is not supported by any wood, so the left and right side are sitting on a piece of wood that extends about 4 inches out and there is no wood inbetween the long sides of the tank. I'll try to upload some photos so you can see what I am talking about a little better.

8. WolfPack21 Member Member

[​IMG]Maybe this will help as well, the dimensions of the stand are 50x14.5 so the tank sits inside of the stand if that makes sense on 2 pieces of wood (one on the left and right)

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd only use a stand that supports the entire perimeter.

10. WolfPack21 Member Member

I understand, but I dont see how a fish store could sell me a stand that is wrong for my tank?

11. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Your image isn't coming up for me.

My first thought: because they care more about the sale. :-\ Sad, but so often true.

12. WolfPack21 Member Member

So I guess I should drain the tank then if it is not safe to use?

13. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

i find it better to make your own stand. You can go to the store and pick up some 2x4. If you look up on google you can look up how to make it with pics.