Choosing A Male And Female Betta To Breed

Kysarkel000

Hello all! I'm wanting to breed bettas and I've done a lot if research already. I've seen a glimpse on the interwebs that you shouldn't breed a blue betta with a red betta. Is this true? If so, what rules are there for breeding betta colors?

Maybe you can tell me if my chosen male and female will make good babies?

He is a red and blue combtail

ad85ed567e069cff5fa1d732707bc46d.jpg

And she is a koi. I think she's just a delta? (My Cambodia betta photo bombed lol)

8cf2b0675adc7e23f01f8b2f09aca4c8.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Katie13

Can you post a side picture of the first one?

Mary765

The first one looks suspiciously like a female to me (but I don't keep betta fish so please take my assumption with a pinch of salt)

Demeter

The chosen male looks like a female to me, if it was a male combtail of breeding age the fins would be much longer.

Katie13

The first one looks suspiciously like a female to me (but I don't keep betta fish so please take my assumption with a pinch of salt)

The chosen male looks like a female to me, if it was a male combtail of breeding age the fins would be much longer.
I asked about a side photo for that very reason! It looks to be a female Crowntail.

Mary765

I asked about a side photo for that very reason! It looks to be a female Crowntail.

Glad we are all on the same page then

Katie13

Zooming in, I spot a pronounce egg spot, definitely female!

Mary765

Kysarkel000 do you have any other males you could show us so we can help you decide on a breeding pair

Kysarkel000

He doesn't have an egg spot. I've looked a hundred times! In the picture from earlier he is flaring and the colors are a bit deceiving. I believe he is quite young still as I got him as a baby. Here is a side pic.

8d8386af90776c02133aa558f7782a15.jpg

Katie13

He doesn't have an egg spot. I've looked a hundred times! In the picture from earlier he is flaring and the colors are a bit deceiving. I believe he is quite young still as I got him as a baby. Here is a side pic.

8d8386af90776c02133aa558f7782a15.jpg
That is a female betta. It’s certainly not bale. Don’t try to breed them if you can’t tell Male from female.

Kysarkel000

That is a female betta. It’s certainly not bale. Don’t try to breed them if you can’t tell Male from female.
How can you tell if there's no egg spot??

Mary765

I understand if you are new to keeping betta and get a little confused sometimes (we've all been at that stage in our fisk-keeping experiences!)

Maybe wait a short while though before you start trying to breed them, because I've heard betta breeding can be very challenging and stressful at times (it's a delicate process)

Until then, do plenty of research on betta breeding, ask for advice on this forum, purchase anything you think you might need to help things run smoother, and PLEASE get back to fishlore for confirmation before you try any breeding!

no hard feelings

Demeter

I still say female too, the belly looks too plump and I don't see much of a beard. From the side view picture it seems the pelvic fins are blocking where you would normally see an egg spot. If possible, get it to flare and take a better side view picture. If that is a male, it is far too young to breed anyways.

Katie13

I still say female too, the belly looks too plump and I don't see much of a beard. From the side view picture it seems the pelvic fins are blocking where you would normally see an egg spot. If possible, get it to flare and take a better side view picture. If that is a male, it is far too young to breed anyways.
It’s definitely not male. Not even young males look like that.

Demeter

I agree, but for peace of mind I want to see the egg spot and absence of a beard in a clearer pic.

I thought this was a female for the longest time. Hard to see a white egg spot on a white fish

Vitenka7-7-17.JPG

Kysarkel000

Okay well, since I'm getting conflicting answers on weather this ones a male or female, I suppose I shouldn't try to breed it. The only way I know how to tell for sure is the egg spot, and I don't see one on this fish. Time to find a new male I suppose

Thanks for your help anyways

Katie13

I agree, but for peace of mind I want to see the egg spot and absence of a beard in a clearer pic.

I thought this was a female for the longest time. Hard to see a white egg spot on a white fish

Vitenka7-7-17.JPG
There’s not enough weight distributed up front for it to be female.

Demeter

Yes, I know that now. I always had my suspicions as he grew, but I just kept searching for the white dot.

Vitya 10-12A.JPG

RickyRicardo1838

Here is a picture of the betta fish anatomy, it gives you a good idea of the location of the ovipositor (egg spot). The picture is a screenshot of the book I'm reading so don't mind the rest of the writing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180105-172927.png
    Screenshot_20180105-172927.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 97

Kysarkel000

Can someone tell me please whether the color thing is true where one shouldn't breed a betta that has blue with a betta that has red?

When I do breed my bettas, I want to be as responsible as I possibly can

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HotDogWater
Replies
Views
AlyssaLaine
Replies
Views
Hunter1
Replies