Choosing A Floating Plant - Ideas? Pros/cons? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mom2some, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

So I am looking to add a floating plant to my tank again. I used to have water sprite & duckweed. The first eventually failed & I got sick of the duckweed (which had been a hitchhiker anyway).
    So i am looking for something new & for pros/cons to the basic low tech floating options. I am not a fan of anacharis or hornwart I don’t think (they don’t look to me like they should be floating plants).
    So I am more or less trying to decide between: dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters, frog bit and (maybe) water sprite again. I have honey gourami who I am sure would appreciate a return to some surface cover. My local shops have not had any of these when I have been recently- if that matters, so I will probably be ordering online.
    Thank you!

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231Well Known MemberMember

3. Aegnis

AegnisValued MemberMember

I've heard great things about dwarf lettuce! I currently have salvinia in my tank, but I'm getting a little sick of it to be honest. Definitely wish I had gone with dwarf lettuce.

4. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf water lettuce. It grows like crazy and is easy to manage. If you want a lot, leave it alone and you'll get a lot of small plants. Want only a few, prune them and you can get a handful of massive plants. My biggest was about 10 inches across.

5. Colt Frost

Colt FrostWell Known MemberMember

I have normal water lettuce in my tanks. It does pretty well

6. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

I like the idea of a big dwarf water lettuce with lots of roots. Can you give me an outline of how to prune it to encourage central growth?

7. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

It sends out shoots to create new plants. Just cut them off when you see them.

8. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Having a rough-ish evening. Maybe after kids are in bed I will indulge in a little online retail therapy of the dwarf water lettuce kind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice