Choosing A Floating Plant - Ideas? Pros/cons?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I am looking to add a floating plant to my tank again. I used to have water sprite & duckweed. The first eventually failed & I got sick of the duckweed (which had been a hitchhiker anyway).
So i am looking for something new & for pros/cons to the basic low tech floating options. I am not a fan of anacharis or hornwart I don’t think (they don’t look to me like they should be floating plants).
So I am more or less trying to decide between: dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters, frog bit and (maybe) water sprite again. I have honey gourami who I am sure would appreciate a return to some surface cover. My local shops have not had any of these when I have been recently- if that matters, so I will probably be ordering online.
Thank you!

GrayGray4231

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've heard great things about dwarf lettuce! I currently have salvinia in my tank, but I'm getting a little sick of it to be honest. Definitely wish I had gone with dwarf lettuce.

SixThreeOh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Dwarf water lettuce. It grows like crazy and is easy to manage. If you want a lot, leave it alone and you'll get a lot of small plants. Want only a few, prune them and you can get a handful of massive plants. My biggest was about 10 inches across.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SixThreeOh said:
Dwarf water lettuce. It grows like crazy and is easy to manage. If you want a lot, leave it alone and you'll get a lot of small plants. Want only a few, prune them and you can get a handful of massive plants. My biggest was about 10 inches across.
I have normal water lettuce in my tanks. It does pretty well

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SixThreeOh said:
I like the idea of a big dwarf water lettuce with lots of roots. Can you give me an outline of how to prune it to encourage central growth?

SixThreeOh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It sends out shoots to create new plants. Just cut them off when you see them.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SixThreeOh said:
It sends out shoots to create new plants. Just cut them off when you see them.
Having a rough-ish evening. Maybe after kids are in bed I will indulge in a little online retail therapy of the dwarf water lettuce kind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom