Choosing a canister for a small aquarium Help

1. qquake2k Initiate Member

Hi all. I have a small 16 gallon aquarium with an Aquaclear 50 on it. The water is just not as clear as I'd like. In the past, I've had up to five aquariums in the house at a time, from 16 to 55 gallons. The 55g long and 46g bowfront both had canister filters, and the water was completely crystal clear in both, with minimal filter maintenance. I know it's probably overkill, but I'm thinking about getting a small canister for my current 16g.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Hydor Professional 150, Eheim Ecco 2232, or Fluval 106. My number one priority is the ability to control the flow. All three of these have that capability. I would also prefer a spray bar, but I think only the Hydor comes with one. I've been reading reviews for the past few days, but a clear winner has yet to emerge. They all have predominantly positive reviews, but there are enough negative reviews on all three to give me pause. Leaks, noisy, cheap plastic, parts that break, seem to be the most common complaints for all three.

I'm fairly confident that all three will keep the water crystal clear. But I'm hoping some of you have experience with one or more of these, and can share your opinions. Things like setup, ease of maintenance, disassembly/reassembly, restarting, etc. I appreciate it!

2. fishingdeep Member Member

I'm not going to argue with anyone who carries a missile on his arm. Can I suggest using A/C in the A/C first then removing it when then water clears ... haven't you done this is in the past? Lay down your arms so we can talk.

3. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

TOM Aquarium Rapids Mini Canister filter is a cheap option. I have used one in the past and it was decent

4. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Have you considered penn plax's cascade line of filters? They are reasonably priced and work great, I have a 700 on my 20, and it keeps the water extremely clear. Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002DJ9GQ?vs=1 Unfortunately, I do not have experience with any of those canisters, so I can't help there.

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

6. qquake2k Initiate Member

Ha! Don't worry, I use my missiles for good, not evil. :D

"A/C" in the Aquaclear? I don't know this acronym.

I've seen the Tom Rapids, but not the Finnex. But I think I want more capacity than they provide.

I've looked at the Cascade canisters, but I've seen a lot of negative reviews. I'm not sure I quite trust Penn Plax, for some reason.

I think I've decided on the Fluval 06 series. I'm a little leery of the priming handle, I've heard that they're fragile. But I really like the Aquastop valve, and the fact that the flow is adjustable. I also like the crapload of different media that's available for it. Now, I just have to decide on the 106 or 206. The 106 has more than enough capacity for my aquarium, much more. But the 206 has more room for media, and I can use it if I ever decide to upgrade to a larger aquarium. You can't over filter, right? I'll just have to figure out how to make a flow bar.

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I have an aquaclear 50 as well. You can replace the carbon bag with filter floss and it'll clear up really fast. I also have the C-220 can filter. It comes with media already, but you can put anything you want it in. Mine is only 3 weeks old, but it is silent and very easy to maintain.

8. qquake2k Initiate Member

I looked at the Marineland C Series, and like them. Drs F&S has a great sale on them right now. But they don't have adjustable flow, unfortunately.

Well, I ordered the Fluval 206 from PetSmart just now. They have a 15% online discount that ends today, and free shipping over $49. Best deal I could find.

9. qquake2k Initiate Member

I must say, I'm impressed with PetSmart. I ordered the 206 on a Sunday, and it was delivered the following Tuesday at 8:30 in the morning. I got the filter set up yesterday. The hoses are a pain, but otherwise I'm happy with it. I'm glad I decided on the 206 instead of the 106, because it has a lot more room for media. I used all the media it came with, and also added the coarse foam (blue) from the Eheim Liberty HOB I was running, to help seed the bacteria in the new filter. I also added some Nitra-Zorb to try to get the nitrites down. The siphon starter worked very well. So far the output doesn't seem to be too powerful for my small aquarium, I'm running it wide open. FYI, I contacted Fluval (Hagen) to ask about what kind of lube to use on the o-rings. The instructions said to lubricate them, but didn't specify the type of lube. They recommended vegetable oil, which makes sense, and worked well.

Attached Files: