Choosing a bottom feeder

Bombalurina

Hello all

I've bought a 16 gal (will probably end up as a 15 gal most days due to evaporation because I have no lid ). It is going to be stocked with a female betta and two juvenile female guppies (I may be getting a fully-grown female from my boyfriend because he has a deformed one that creeps him out, and I love deformed ones ;D). It will also have 15+ RCS. Since this is my first larger tank I would really like to add some more bottom feeders, because Athena has no problem with fish that don't come anywhere near her. My tank in gallons could hold several things, but it's dimensions are wacked out (14.5x14.5x18 inches, bxdxh) so I have only 3 options:
- pygmy cories
- otos
- pitbull plecos
My substrate is a really large-grain gravel, but it is very smooth. It will also (eventually) be quite heavily planted with dwarf hairgrass, microsword and java moss. I also have all sorts of other plants and two pieces of driftwood, but those are my carpet plants.
Since amazing fish like these are very much a rarity in my fish-poor city I would have to order them in and it would be a very expensive gradual process, but I love bottom feeders so I am prepared to do it.

I would love opinions on any of these fish, as well as pros and cons. How do pitbulls compare to otos as algae eaters? Do they need schools like the other two do, or do they prefer pairs or singles? Would little cories be ok with my large gravel? Would any of these be upset by my happy multitudes of cherry shrimp?

Share all of your wonderful fishy knowledge with me.
x
Bomba

Sharkdude

A group of 4-6 pygmy cories sounds nice.

Bombalurina

Do you reckon I could do a mix? Say, 4 pygmies and 2 pitbulls, or 5 pygmies and a pitbull? I can deal with being slightly overstocked by twice weekly changes, and my filter is rated for more than twice the capacity of my tank.

Sharkdude

5+1 sound more ideal, its best not to have more than one pleco in smaller tanks. They tend to be grumpy with one another.

sharkattack

panda cories are small and prettier than pygmy in my point of view you should take a look and see what you think I would get 5 pandas and a bristle nose

Bombalurina

Planetcatfish, in it's wisdom, says that pitbulls should be kept in groups. Hmm. The more I read about pitbulls, the more I want them. Sigh...looks like I have to choose between pygmies and pitbulls. I'll ask my local fishy man which is going to be cheaper for him to order in.
Pandas would be too active for my silly-sized tank, methinks. 14.5 inches isn't a lot of swimming room.

mosaicguppy

I've always loved pygmies, they are probably the cutest fish I've kept. they do like to school so I recommend atleast four.they are very cute and easy to look after once they settle in, mine were sitting on the gravel for about a week before finally settling in and playing with eachother. there's three types of dwarf cories, the other two are hastatus and habrosus, all very cute in my opinion.

CichlidConossuier

I would recommend about 4-5 pygmy cories. Cories are some awesome fish. Especially when there are a school for them to play together.

Bombalurina

I asked my LFS today. Sadly, pitbull plecos don't seem to be legal in Australia, so they aren't possible. It transpires my gravel is also a bit too large for pygmies. I bought three juvenile panda cories instead, since apparently they stay a bit smaller than other breeds, though obviously not as small as the cories. If they do get too large, I'm banking on having a second tank in the spring that they can live in.

can haz catfishies?

Planetcatfish, in it's wisdom, says that pitbulls should be kept in groups. Hmm.

planet catfish is right I keep 4 pitbull plecos in my tank and most of the time you will find them all sat together in a tight little group or quite often one laying ontop of the others, also I tend to come in during the night and find them all lined up side by side on the front glass of the tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
magic8
  • Question
Replies
Views
jake37