Cholla Wood - Page 2

yukondog

What I do is screw a chunk of steel or lead might be easier to work with to the bottom pieces off the wood that will be buried in the substrate, you can't see it and it works.

Mcasella

Let it sink on its own, with as large piece it needs time to become water logged, until then pretend it is a floating island from avatar.

NineBreaker

Oh, then we’re talking big.

Even if it is big (and 12" is not terribly huge...), you can boil one end and then the other. I just did it and it worked for me with my driftwood / spiderwood. Pots are also inexpensive when purchased at Goodwill or Savers or a similar store.

Fanatic

Even if it is big (and 12" is not terribly huge...), you can boil one end and then the other. I just did it and it worked for me with my driftwood / spiderwood. Pots are also inexpensive when purchased at Goodwill or Savers or a similar store.

Yep, I am fully aware, have had many driftwood boiling days.

AggressiveAquatics

Hey.
I have a very deserty area in the back of my property and there’s lots of cholla wood just laying around. If I boil it is that enough to make it aquarium safe?
Thanks

Kribensis27

Should make it safe enough, as long as it has no chemicals. Also, I am INSANELY jealous. You just have cholla wood randomly lying around???? You don’t have to pay for it????? let me guess, you also just have random dragon stone deposits and manzanita trees popping up everywhere!!! Come on, I don’t have anything but a ton of oak leaves/wood and limestone! I guess I could try to sell limestone to cichlid people, but EVERYONE HAS LIMESTONE!!!

Nessaf

When I lived in Tucson, I used to just pick up the cholla wood I liked for my tanks or for decor. I never bothered to boil it and never had any problems, but I always got the well-aged pieces that were completely clean of the cactus flesh.

AggressiveAquatics

Should make it safe enough, as long as it has no chemicals. Also, I am INSANELY jealous. You just have cholla wood randomly lying around???? You don’t have to pay for it????? let me guess, you also just have random dragon stone deposits and manzanita trees popping up everywhere!!! Come on, I don’t have anything but a ton of oak leaves/wood and limestone! I guess I could try to sell limestone to cichlid people, but EVERYONE HAS LIMESTONE!!!
Dude I wish I had dragon stone that stuff is expensive lol.

When I lived in Tucson, I used to just pick up the cholla wood I liked for my tanks or for decor. I never bothered to boil it and never had any problems, but I always got the well-aged pieces that were completely clean of the cactus flesh.
Thanks! I’ll still scrub it down and soak it

Tots22

I'm glad to find this post. How did it work? My sister lives out in AZ and I was thinking of seeing if she could send me some cholla wood.

AggressiveAquatics

I'm glad to find this post. How did it work? My sister lives out in AZ and I was thinking of seeing if she could send me some cholla wood.
I didn’t have it in my tank for to long just because it didn’t fit in that much with my tank but it did work while I had it

Nessaf

I would just go out into the desert when I lived in Tucson and find nice aged pieces. I never did anything except sink them in my tank. They’ve always worked fine.

Fisharewet

How long does cholla wood last in the aquarium?

BigManAquatics

Anywhere from 6 months to about 1.5 years or so.

Fisharewet

Anywhere from 6 months to about 1.5 years or so.
Would it be worth attaching plants to even though it doesn't last long

BigManAquatics

Would it be worth attaching plants to even though it doesn't last long
Guess it really depends what you want to do overall.

GlennO

I often poke some Java Moss through the holes. Eventually it grows all over it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarylB
Replies
Views
HenryC
Replies
Views
Fuz
Replies
Views