Cholla Wood

Tanman19az

I know that some of you may have found some pieces of cholla wood online at places like aquabid. I was about to fork over their high asking prices until I was in Michaels Craft store with the wifey and what did I see?.....Cholla wood!! 12 inch pieces for $3.99. My red cherry shrimp love them! They are always playing on it. My fish like to peck at them as well. So if you want some cholla wood for your tank, then just go to Michaels.

iloveengl

Awesome! So long as it's not chemically treated or painted, then that's way cool. I got my terracotta pots at Michaels, but I didn't even think to look at the wood. Thanks for the tip.

Tanman19az

Awesome! So long as it's not chemically treated or painted, then that's way cool. I got my terracotta pots at Michaels, but I didn't even think to look at the wood. Thanks for the tip.

Nope! It's not chemically treated or painted. I did put it through some rigorous boiling to make sure of it, though.

Mermaid77

So cool! Wonder if they'll have it at Hobby Lobby as well. I need some for my plec.
Thanks for the tip!

Mermaid77

Ok, just took a look at Hobby Lobby online. They have it for $1.99 per 6" piece.
Doesn't look to have any chems applied to it. Will have to check for certain in the store.

psalm18.2

Wow this stuff sinks fast. I put in a few days ago and it's already water logged. Nice.

APColorado

Do you mind if I asked you where you got yours?

psalm18.2

Right here at Fishlore from member HappenStance. Great pieces too.

kinezumi89

I may have to shoot them a message; I read in a thread that someone got it at Hobby Lobby but I could never find any.

Pictures?

psalm18.2

I may have to shoot them a message; I read in a thread that someone got it at Hobby Lobby but I could never find any.

Pictures?

HappenStance is selling cholla wood right now in the buy, sell, trade forum.

APColorado

I totally missed that....thank you.

I just sent a PM, the cheapest I've seen so far online and haven't had luck seeing them in any craft store. They are excellent for shrimp tanks and attaching Anubias.

KarenSoCal

A couple weeks ago I had a death in my tank. I had a nice piece of cholla wood in there. My platy, as near as I could tell, swam into the open end of the branch. I think when she went as far as she could, she tried to turn around, and ended up with her head out a hole in one side, and her tail out a hole on the other side.
She was stuck tight. When I found her, I was able to pick apart some wood with a pliers and free her, but sadly, the damage and shock was too much for her.
Has anyone had a problem like this? Any of you who use cholla, is there a way to prevent this? The wood is currently out of the tank, but I was thinking of using the pliers and making it a half cylinder? I like it, but certainly don't want a repeat of what happened to Naomi.

flchamp89

I have few pieces. Never had issues like that. My pieces are small though. You could pack it full of java moss. It's even sold like that online. Put gravel/rock in each end ?

KarenSoCal

I have few pieces. Never had issues like that. My pieces are small though. You could pack it full of java moss. It's even sold like that online. Put gravel/rock in each end ?
I don't have any java moss...can't seem to find any around here. I like the gravel idea. One end is already closed off naturally. Maybe I could just make sure the open end is buried in the sand?

flchamp89

That work too. Anything to plug hole. I have a piece in my 10 gallon and several in a spec iii. Nothing special to me. Its cool to look at.

delete999

I have a piece covered in Marimo moss. I bought it on eBay. You could also plug up the holes with cut up marimos.
3e2ddded55b0b57b6504d2f46df42689.jpg
e39c998f6e8e8f0a33ac405191e596cc.jpg

KarenSoCal

I have a piece covered in Marimo moss. I bought it on eBay. You could also plug up the holes with cut up marimos.
3e2ddded55b0b57b6504d2f46df42689.jpg
e39c998f6e8e8f0a33ac405191e596cc.jpg
Neat idea! I may try that!

JamieXPXP

so ive ordered cholla wood for my ghost shrimp in my tank and was wondering if I should boil it. some people have said that if you boil it then it will not last as long and that its pointless but others have said you should boil it because of the tannins (sorry not sure how to spell it). so any thoughts? how long does cholla wood normally last anyways?

TexasDomer

The tannins won't bother the shrimp. I'd just add it!

JamieXPXP

The tannins won't bother the shrimp. I'd just add it!
if I just add it as soon as I get it then how long will it take to sink? do you know how long it will take until I need to replace it?

TexasDomer

It shouldn't break down quickly, but I don't know of an exact length of time. For sinking, it can take hours to days to weeks. Depends on the piece.

JamieXPXP

It shouldn't break down quickly, but I don't know of an exact length of time. For sinking, it can take hours to days to weeks. Depends on the piece.
alright thanks ^.^ another questions do snail eat the cholla? ive read that they do

TexasDomer

I don't know, but I wouldn't think so based on the fact that snails don't seem to eat any other kind of wood.

JamieXPXP

haha alright thanks for the help ^.^

after researching a bit I kinda like the look tannins gives haha. I think it gives a bit of a natural look to the water. although I read activated carbons removes it which I have in my filter so it won't be look like tea too much

JamieXPXP

Activated carbon didn't remove much of the tannins for me. Water changes will lighten the tank too.
huh...I guess ill have to see how brown my water gets then haha, hopefully not too brown though

Ioana Dog

How long can I keep cholla wood in my aquariums? I ended up putting anubias in a bunch to hold them down and so they are easy to move instead of putting on solid drift wood. Can the cholla wood stay in the tanks forever or do they eventually have to get thrown out?

Mick Frost

They'll eventually fall apart. The structure of cholla breaks down in water. Each piece is different, but average is 6-12 months (depending on temp and PH).

JamieXPXP

ive had mine in my tank for a year and it was fine but it did start to dissolve a little in the water....until my puppy got a hold of it while I was cleaning the tank and ate the cholla >.>

Ioana Dog

Thank you. My dog does like to chew on it. So maybe I should use it to ‘pot’ my plants?

Ioana Dog

Does drift wood do the same thing - fall apart over time?

Mick Frost

Much slower, I've had a chunk of Tamarack for over 10 years and it hasn't changed noticeably.

Cander

Hey everyone I’m wanting to get drift wood for my aquarium that will lower my ph. I’m also not wanting to spend a lot of money. So I saw cholla wood and I can get 3 pieces for 10 dollars. Would this be a good purchase.

Lblair

Cholla wood is great as long as you don’t have any critters that can get stuck in the holes. I learned that the hard way when I found my dwarf gourami half in/out of a hole and very much dead

Mcasella

You would have to have a ton of driftwood for it to reliably lower your ph beyond a tenth or so of a point. Cholla wood doesn't do much for ph, pretty much as all (it is a hit with plecos, shrimp, and smaller fish that like swimming through the holes).
Why are you trying to lower your ph? (A stable ph is better than one that swings.) Most fish can adjust to ph pretty easily. If you have more sensitive fish remineralized RO water is going to be your best bet here, not driftwood. Driftwood does not give an instant drop if that is what you are hoping for, it works over time, and sometimes water changes just negate this over time work.

Cander

Ok thx you

I was trying to lower it because I lost fish I went and they had to sample the water and I was told I’ve to high of a ph. And I couldn’t do anything until I lower it

TexasDomer

It may not lower your pH though. What's your pH, GH, and KH now?

Rtessy

What size tank, and what size Cholla wood are you looking at?

Mcasella

I was trying to lower it because I lost fish I went and they had to sample the water and I was told I’ve to high of a ph. And I couldn’t do anything until I lower it
Do you know what reading your ph is at? Most places say your ph needs to be at 7.0, mine is higher than that and I have harder to keep fish like wild caught cory cats, licorice gouramis, and other sensitive fish). My ph runs 7.6-7.8 depending at what time of year I take from my source water.

DuaneV

Yeah, high PH is a "relative" term. Fish adjust to PH levels fairly easily, its when it goes from 6.5 to 8.5 in a water change that it can shock and kill them. I doubt high PH killed your fish.

And like someone else said, you could probably fill an entire aquarium with cholla to the point of nothing else being able to fit, literally, and not lower it a point.

Cander

Sorry out working all day...my ph is at 8.4 it’s a 20 gallon tall tank. I’ve a 30 gallon that all of the fish are doing great in. I’ll have to do another test to tell you the others

r_e_g

How long can I keep cholla wood in my aquariums? I ended up putting anubias in a bunch to hold them down and so they are easy to move instead of putting on solid drift wood. Can the cholla wood stay in the tanks forever or do they eventually have to get thrown out?
There are a few pieces of cholla in the shrimp tank that have been in there for close to 3 years. They're very broken down and have turned dark brown but I love it. They look so natural now.

EbiAqua

This 12" piece of cholla has been in the shrimp system at work for nearly 2 weeks and won't stay down. I've tried keeping rocks on top of it, pinning it down with the magnetic algae scraper, and pushing it into the substrate but nothing works. What other options do I have to make it stay down?

KinsKicks

Have you tried tying it to a rock? They’ll keep it down until it waterlogs and then you can remove the rock

EbiAqua

Have you tried tying it to a rock? They’ll keep it down until it waterlogs and then you can remove the rock

I've tried setting rocks on top but even after a week of sitting submerged it still floats like a cork.

Fanatic

Did you boil it before adding it to the tank?

EbiAqua

Did you boil it before adding it to the tank?

It's a store display so I didn't have a way to boil it.

Fanatic

It's a store display so I didn't have a way to boil it.

Boiling often has the effect to get it to sink quicker.
That worked for me

EbiAqua

Boiling often has the effect to get it to sink quicker.
That worked for me
Even if I take it home, I don't have a pot big enough to boil it.

Fanatic

Even if I take it home, I don't have a pot big enough to boil it.

Oh, then we’re talking big.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarylB
Replies
Views
HenryC
Replies
Views
Fuz
Replies