Cholla Wood Question

1. Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

Hey everyone I’m wanting to get drift wood for my aquarium that will lower my ph. I’m also not wanting to spend a lot of money. So I saw cholla wood and i can get 3 pieces for 10 dollars. Would this be a good purchase.

2. Lblair

Lblair New Member Member

Cholla wood is great as long as you don’t have any critters that can get stuck in the holes. I learned that the hard way when I found my dwarf gourami half in/out of a hole and very much dead

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You would have to have a ton of driftwood for it to reliably lower your ph beyond a tenth or so of a point. Cholla wood doesn't do much for ph, pretty much as all (it is a hit with plecos, shrimp, and smaller fish that like swimming through the holes).
    Why are you trying to lower your ph? (A stable ph is better than one that swings.) Most fish can adjust to ph pretty easily. If you have more sensitive fish remineralized RO water is going to be your best bet here, not driftwood. Driftwood does not give an instant drop if that is what you are hoping for, it works over time, and sometimes water changes just negate this over time work.

4. OP
    OP
    Cander

Ok thx you

I was trying to lower it because I lost fish I went and they had to sample the water and I was told I’ve to high of a ph. And I couldn’t do anything until I lower it

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It may not lower your pH though. What's your pH, GH, and KH now?

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

What size tank, and what size Cholla wood are you looking at?

7. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know what reading your ph is at? Most places say your ph needs to be at 7.0, mine is higher than that and i have harder to keep fish like wild caught cory cats, licorice gouramis, and other sensitive fish). My ph runs 7.6-7.8 depending at what time of year i take from my source water.

8. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Yeah, high PH is a "relative" term. Fish adjust to PH levels fairly easily, its when it goes from 6.5 to 8.5 in a water change that it can shock and kill them. I doubt high PH killed your fish.

And like someone else said, you could probably fill an entire aquarium with cholla to the point of nothing else being able to fit, literally, and not lower it a point.

9. OP
    OP
    Cander

Sorry out working all day...my ph is at 8.4 it’s a 20 gallon tall tank. I’ve a 30 gallon that all of the fish are doing great in. I’ll have to do another test to tell you the others