Cholla Wood

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long can I keep cholla wood in my aquariums? I ended up putting anubias in a bunch to hold them down and so they are easy to move instead of putting on solid drift wood. Can the cholla wood stay in the tanks forever or do they eventually have to get thrown out?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They'll eventually fall apart. The structure of cholla breaks down in water. Each piece is different, but average is 6-12 months (depending on temp and PH).

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive had mine in my tank for a year and it was fine but it did start to dissolve a little in the water....until my puppy got a hold of it while i was cleaning the tank and ate the cholla >.>

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you. My dog does like to chew on it. So maybe I should use it to ‘pot’ my plants?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Much slower, I've had a chunk of Tamarack for over 10 years and it hasn't changed noticeably.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ioana Dog said:
How long can I keep cholla wood in my aquariums? I ended up putting anubias in a bunch to hold them down and so they are easy to move instead of putting on solid drift wood. Can the cholla wood stay in the tanks forever or do they eventually have to get thrown out?
There are a few pieces of cholla in the shrimp tank that have been in there for close to 3 years. They're very broken down and have turned dark brown but I love it. They look so natural now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom