Cholla Wood Questions

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello! I have a 10gal planted tank and I am planning to get some Amano shrimp. I heard that they like Cholla Wood so I would love to get them some.

I know that a lot of driftwood should and needs to be boiled before going into the tank to clean and release tannins but cholla Wood seems more delicate. Do I boil it too? If so, for how long?

Also, I heard the wood could start decomposing. When should I take it out and put a new one in?

Would there be any types of fish/invertebrates that will NOT be ok with Cholla Wood?

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got Cholla Wood for my Pleco before I could afford actual driftwood, it came in a pack of three and I boiled each log for 10-15 minutes, let it cool, run it under some cold tap water, dried it off and stuck it in the tank.

After boiling, you could let it sit outside or inside, your choice, in a bucket of water so it can release more tannins out, once the water gets dirty, replace with new clean water, and repeat until the water stays clear in the bucket.

I just boiled and put it in the tank, and have had no problems at all.

My Ramshorn snails absolutely love it since my Pleco is now in another tank but I've had it since May, so that'd be about 5 months or so and I've noticed the wood get kind of a dark brown color in some parts, I assume that is the wood starting to decompose.

If you let it decompose for long enough it will just eventually disappear. So I wouldn't bother worrying about when to take it out once it starts getting smaller and smaller, you can replace it with another piece if you wish.

As far as I know, Cholla wood is very safe for lots of fish. Although be sure to inspect the wood, sometimes it will still have thorns on the wood!

Good luck and happy shrimp/fishkeeping

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got a 5 pack of Cholla wood off Amazon a while back and all i did was rinse it off in hot water and plop a piece in each of my tanks and they still look just as good as the day i got them and yes i agree the ramshorns are crazy for them. They give a nice little natural look to the tank while making a food source for certain species and not really messing with parameters being the pieces are small in size.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rinse plop and drop. FYI, Amano Shrimp really like driftwood. Mine would hang on the driftwood and really never paid the cholla wood any attention.
I used a piece of cholla to secure my java moss to, kind of made a tree out of it. I am unaware of any fish that would be bothered by cholla wood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom