Cholla Wood For Plants...

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Valued Member Member

I bought 3 orders of these things, with 3 pieces per order, to attach plants to when they come hopefully tomorrow. But, the ends of some of these things seem too open and might expose fish to getting stuck in them.

Does anybody use Cholla wood and have problems with fish getting stuck in them. I wonder what I can stick in the ends so the don't attempt to go in there? Any ideas?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It should be fine, but just in case you can shove some small rocks into the ends. Or you can stuff it with sand.

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Good idea. Thanks!!

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Or even some plants at the ends?

5. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

My fry (even larger ones) swim through them all the time with no issues. And when they get too big they just hang out above the top and lay above the holes. No adult or child has gotten stuck yet so I think they'd be alright.

I actually bought them and put them into all my tanks for the fry to go in them and hide (and shrimp). They're perfect hiding places for the little guys.

6. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Thanks. Do not currently have any fry. I am more worried about fish like the Cory's getting in there and getting stuck. The reason this popped into my brain is I have a feeding tube on the side to the tank where I drop pellets and disks and what not for the snails/Cory's so it doesn't make a mess all over the gravel, and some of the fish try to swim up the tube. One of the Cory's did and I almost couldn't get him out. I either have to take the tube out or find a wider tube (which I cannot find) so they cannot get stuck in it. As far as the cholla, will figure something out.

7. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

Ahhh yeah I'd be worried too then! My cories have never tried to go inside my Cholla wood but I don't use a feeding tube for them. I'm sure that changes things a bit. I'd recommend keeping them away from the feeding tube so they don't accidentally associate them with food maybe?

Or yeah stuffing them as was suggested. Silly little corries!

8. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't worry about fish getting stuck in it. I've kept cholla in my tanks with no issues. Shrimp, snails and fry love to hide in it and feed on it.

The only thing about cholla is that it breaks down relatively quickly. After about a year you'll find it will become quite crumbly or spongy in places. Shrimp, snails and especially plecos will break it down even faster. I have a few small pieces with Java moss attached, but I woulnd't personally attach anything like Anubias or Java fern to cholla as it just doesn't last nearly as long as harder woods such as mopani, manzanita, or Malaysian driftwood.