Cholla wood and tannins

ArmoredCatfish

Yesterday I placed about 10" of cholla wood in my aquarium. Naturally the tannins in the wood have given the water a slightly yellowish tinge. I did a partial water change today and added a little Clarity after my master test. Will the cholla wood continue to cause the water to be stained or will it go away?
162360201429230245409173146951.jpg

MacZ

Depending on the individual piece of wood it can take a few weeks to a month until it has leached out most of the tannins. Please abstain from using any chemical products to remove or counter it, waterchanges are the easiest way of removal. The way it looks I would guess in a week or so it's done leaching.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

With all wood it is a guessing game. I dont think Cholla will leech for long. The fish like tannins so it is more of a keeper like or dislike. ;)

Upvote 0

Nessaf

I’ve used cholla for years, it will go away.

Upvote 0

TheAnglerAquarist

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

With all wood it is a guessing game. I dont think Cholla will leech for long. The fish like tannins so it is more of a keeper like or dislike. ;)
Yeah cholla won’t deep for too long. You should see my mopani

Upvote 0

ArmoredCatfish

Depending on the individual piece of wood it can take a few weeks to a month until it has leached out most of the tannins. Please abstain from using any chemical products to remove or counter it, waterchanges are the easiest way of removal. The way it looks I would guess in a week or so it's done leaching.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dobert
  • Question
Replies
Views
TobeyTheBetta
Replies