Cholla vs. Driftwood for a pleco?

1. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I've been looking for some driftwood for my pleco, but the pet stores here never carry any. I was looking around online and it seems that every piece is either too large for my tank or is too expensive when the shipping gets added in. I found some places to buy Cholla Wood, and I was wondering what you all thought about it. Pretty much the same as driftwood as far as health benefits for the plecos? Or is the whole "use cholla wood instead of driftwood!" thing just a ploy to try to move more of the wood - it's definitely not as pretty as driftwood :p

Looking forward to hearing your opinions, and thanks in advance

2. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Cholla is the interior support structure for large cacti.
    Stick with driftwood.

3. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Do you know anybody who has grape vines ?

If you do, it might be worth a try.

It would need to be debarked and dried, before you could use it.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What about making your own driftwood? Or going to a garden/landscaping store?

5. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Thanks for the opinions.

And I was considering that Akari, I just worry that I wouldn't boil it long enough or something, lol. When I go home (college lets out soon thank god) I will be about five minutes from the beach so I might go look for some. Worth a try.

6. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Amazon has Malaysian DW for a good price really. I purchased 3 pieces, 1 small, 1 medium and 1 large for $30 with shipping. Each piece is a individual purchase so they are not a group. You could pick from one of those and get a nice piece that way. I ran mine through the dishwasher 2 times - no soap, on sanitize and from what I can tell everything is good to go. I placed one of the 3 in my 75 and it looks good, no tannins or anything.

I am not sure what your budget is but this is for sure a option.

7. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Ah, I hadn't thought of amazon. I'll check it out, thanks.