Choices, choices Help

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

Okay. I did what you suggested Mommybaby and did a 90% water change and then garnished with aquasafe. Now I'm trying to decide what fish to stock my 15 gallon tank with. I'm thinking a female betta, (I really want a male, but the females are supposed to be nonaggressive according to the Liveaquaria website) 4 bleeding tetra hearts and a red eyed white fish whom the owner thinks is a Gourami, but is not confident. (And yes he works for a credited aqaurium store.) Good choices? Too many fish? Are there other problems I'm not aware of? Please let me know before I make these important purchases. I go to the fish store on Friday.;D

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm no Betta expert, but I have heard that females can also be quite aggressive?

The best of luck on your new tank though and I'm sure some more experienced members can help you out :)

aqadvisor can be a handy tool to help you get a general idea for stocking levels

3. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Females can be just as aggressive as male bettas, I wouldn't risk it. Also, I would not add the mystery white fish until you are absolutely sure what it is so you know exactly what kind of tank the fish would require.

4. click Well Known Member Member

Hm, I know how hard it is to chose your fish. And even it might say in books they will act a certain way, there are always exceptions from the rule. For instance in my tank, if I didn't had my guppies, there are times of the day you could swear the tank is empty:giggle:

You're taking a risk by adding a betta. It's true there are a few success stories of bettas in community settings but I think those are the exceptions from the rules I mentioned before. So you should think of a plan B if the betta doesn't get along with your other fish, have a spare tank for him/her or make sure you can take him/her back to the store.

...and if you do end up buying the mystery fish, please post a picture. You made us all curious ;D

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

girls are just as bad as boys..do some searches here on the forum.you will see some disasters where even after months, it wasnt good...i agree do not add your mystery fish without knowing what exactly it is...if he isnt confident on what type of fish he is, it makes me leary on his fish keeping skills and advice period.....dont end up in trouble where its so very hard to get out of ....I think a nice school of tetras and maybe some cories will be great for the tank....im sure theres a bunch of different opinions, but 15g IMO would be too risky for a betta and a gourami (if thats what it is )

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with everyone else about the betta girl.

Could you do 6 bleeding heart tetras and 4 cories (pygmy if they have them)... that way you have 2 nice schools, your tank will be nicely filled on the top and the bottom.

To be honest, I wasn't very sold on cories when I saw them at the store. And the first store I looked at had them for $8 each, so I was freaked at having to buy 6 for my 30g tank. But SO many people here recommended them that I decided to get them. I looked online, found a fish store in the area I wasn't aware of and called them. They had them for under $3 each (same size, etc.). Now I'm in love. They are the superstars of my tank.

7. Jackie Frost Member Member

Awww no Betas? :-\ But I love Betas. Plus, I feel so sorry for them stuck in those little plastic cans ...but maybe you're right. I don't want a disaster on my hands. I'll probably stick with the tetras and the mystery fish. What if the mystery fish was a Gourami? Would that work?

What do Cories look like? I'll examine a pic and a personality profile on this site.

8. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Depends on the species of gourami...Again, you don't want to add it unless you are absolutely sure what the kind of fish it is. I suggest going to your Fish ID thread and look up the pictures of the fish that have been suggested and see if any of them match.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

even if it is a gourami, which it sounds like it could be with your other post, I dont think its a dwarf gourami and thats about the only gourami id put in a 15g tank with other fish..and that would be pushing it IMO

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Cories are little catfish, sorta triangular, I guess. Hard to describe. The pics don't do them justice, because it's their personalities I like. They waddle when they swim...

Honestly, even in the store, I didn't think much of them. I'd decided to get them because people here had pointed out to me that my tank was going to have a ton of fish on top and I hadn't gotten anything for the bottom. So I bought them, brought them home, and put them in: instant love (sorry guppies, you aren't my number one anymore, though it is close).

11. Jackie Frost Member Member

I did some research on the Cories. They seem alright ...but right now I'm leaning towards one Molly, four Bleeding Hearts and yes the mystery fish which I am now 75% convinced is an albino dwarf gourami. (I was looking at some pics and the mystery fish most resembles them.) But I by no means am absolutely sure. I'll have to post pics the moment I can. (The assumed Gourami would probably end up being some rare stunted piranah who would eat up all the fish in my tank and then would try to snack on me! Maybe that's why it was following my finger! :;jaws)

12. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Never heard of albino dwarf gouramies :;sh
    The only albino gouramies I know of are Giant Gouramies...could be the one in your store is just a juvie...certainty wouldn't do well in a 15g.

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, I love mollies, especially the black ones. You could even get one in honor of your goldfih Molly who you lost.

Just keep in mind when deciding on your stocking list that they produce a bit more waste, and also I think they get up to 3 inches.

My LFS recommends adding salt to a tank with a molly, but people on here don't do that, and the mollies seem to do fine.

Oh, and at one point I was looking at my LFS for a dwarf gourami... the lady told me all gouramis are dwarves. :;sh :whistling: Ummm....yeah...

14. Jackie Frost Member Member

Awww, you're so sweet to remember Molly. :;hug2 Actually I was thinking about getting a black one and naming her Molly (even if it's a guy)

15. Shadowbeam Member Member

Just to add, I have 3 mollies, one of them a black molly, and they do seem more than happy without salt. Some people have problems with mollies getting more diseases without salt, some don't :D
    Also, I adore mollies!!! They are lovely and have so much personality and are hardy fish, so i'd recommend them :)