Chocolate Gourami Help

Patpatthepat

Hello all, I may be having problems with a chocolate gourami and I would like some additional opinions. Essentially, one of them has clamped fins, a white area on its abdomen, and occasionally moves in a rocking motion that reminds me of Parkinson's. I am unsure if it is a true emergency, but better safe than sorry.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20G Long
How long has the tank been running?
Two weeks as it is a quarantine tank
Does it have a filter?
Yes, a cycled sponge filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes, Eheimjager 50W
What is the water temperature?
79F with 1 degree fluctuation
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Four Chocolate gouramis

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once every two weeks
How much of the water do you change?
15%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem prime, catappa leaves, various botanicals (it's a blackwater tank)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Just the water, it is bare bottom

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API Master Test Kit and Hanna pH checker
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 6.4 (planning to bring it down slowly to low 5s)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day, six times a week
How much do you feed your fish?
Frozen bloodworms and mysis, live brine shrimp
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes, frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About a week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Two days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Clamped fins, white spot on abdomen, occasional rocky motion
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Yes, but white spot was smaller
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Fish got more shy due to bullying. There use to be six Chocolate gouramis but four died in transit/shortly after being in quarantine

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I recently purchased six chocolate gouramis for my 40G breeder Malaysian biotope blackwater tank. They went into quarantine about a week ago. Two of the chocolate gouramis died shortly after. I was at fault, as the quarantine tank was initially a 10 gallon that had been running empty for two months (I sprinkled in fish food every day to maintain the cycle). My initial research (from Seriouslyfish.com) missed the fact that chocolate gouramis can be quite vicious to each other (especially in smaller groups) and I thought they were shy fish, both with other species and each other. I realized that they would need a bigger quarantine and more numbers. I moved the surviving four into a 20 gallon long, with plans to move them into another 40G breeder tomorrow. I also ordered 10 more chocolate gouramis (arriving in two days).

The fish in question has been bullied by the largest chocolate gourami and frequently has its fins clamped. Additionally, there is some whiteness on the fish's abdomen. I am unsure if this is "normal" stress coloration or some external fungus/bacteria. It does not look fuzzy. I have attached a video of the fish. Additionally, the bullied fish swims with a stutter, moving back and forth. It will swim a short distance normally, the start rocking. This can also be seen in the video. None of the other three chocolate gouramis in the tank have the whiteness/rocking motion. Fortunately, the bullied fish still eats quite readily and will frequently eat with the other three gouramis. It still swims around the tank and doesn't hide, but will give a wide berth to the bully (biggest chocolate gourami). The bully will chase the other two, but it isn't as bad as it is with the chocolate gourami in question.

I have two main questions:
1. Does anyone know what the rocking motion is and what causes it?
2. Is the white spot a disease I need to treat, and if so, with what?
Thank you for the help. I know chocolate gouramis and blackwater tanks are a little more uncommon, so any help is appreciated. I think having a larger tank and more chocolate gouramis will help with the behavioral issues, but I am worried about any disease. The other three gouramis currently have no abnormalities.

Imgur link to the videos:

Madchild57

Hello all, I may be having problems with a chocolate gourami and I would like some additional opinions. Essentially, one of them has clamped fins, a white area on its abdomen, and occasionally moves in a rocking motion that reminds me of Parkinson's. I am unsure if it is a true emergency, but better safe than sorry.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20G Long
How long has the tank been running?
Two weeks as it is a quarantine tank
Does it have a filter?
Yes, a cycled sponge filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes, Eheimjager 50W
What is the water temperature?
79F with 1 degree fluctuation
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Four Chocolate gouramis

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once every two weeks
How much of the water do you change?
15%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem prime, catappa leaves, various botanicals (it's a blackwater tank)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Just the water, it is bare bottom

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API Master Test Kit and Hanna pH checker
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 6.4 (planning to bring it down slowly to low 5s)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day, six times a week
How much do you feed your fish?
Frozen bloodworms and mysis, live brine shrimp
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes, frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About a week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Two days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Clamped fins, white spot on abdomen, occasional rocky motion
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Yes, but white spot was smaller
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Fish got more shy due to bullying. There use to be six Chocolate gouramis but four died in transit/shortly after being in quarantine

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I recently purchased six chocolate gouramis for my 40G breeder Malaysian biotope blackwater tank. They went into quarantine about a week ago. Two of the chocolate gouramis died shortly after. I was at fault, as the quarantine tank was initially a 10 gallon that had been running empty for two months (I sprinkled in fish food every day to maintain the cycle). My initial research (from Seriouslyfish.com) missed the fact that chocolate gouramis can be quite vicious to each other (especially in smaller groups) and I thought they were shy fish, both with other species and each other. I realized that they would need a bigger quarantine and more numbers. I moved the surviving four into a 20 gallon long, with plans to move them into another 40G breeder tomorrow. I also ordered 10 more chocolate gouramis (arriving in two days).

The fish in question has been bullied by the largest chocolate gourami and frequently has its fins clamped. Additionally, there is some whiteness on the fish's abdomen. I am unsure if this is "normal" stress coloration or some external fungus/bacteria. It does not look fuzzy. I have attached a video of the fish. Additionally, the bullied fish swims with a stutter, moving back and forth. It will swim a short distance normally, the start rocking. This can also be seen in the video. None of the other three chocolate gouramis in the tank have the whiteness/rocking motion. Fortunately, the bullied fish still eats quite readily and will frequently eat with the other three gouramis. It still swims around the tank and doesn't hide, but will give a wide berth to the bully (biggest chocolate gourami). The bully will chase the other two, but it isn't as bad as it is with the chocolate gourami in question.

I have two main questions:
1. Does anyone know what the rocking motion is and what causes it?
2. Is the white spot a disease I need to treat, and if so, with what?
Thank you for the help. I know chocolate gouramis and blackwater tanks are a little more uncommon, so any help is appreciated. I think having a larger tank and more chocolate gouramis will help with the behavioral issues, but I am worried about any disease. The other three gouramis currently have no abnormalities.

Imgur link to the videos:
I can't see any ich. Since you've only had it for a week, it is possible this fish was weaker than the others and some bacteria got to it.
It happens to me occasionally when I buy fish. I bought 2 peacock gudgeons and one just stopped eating after a few days and died and no one else got any disease. I think it may be an oppurtunistic infection. When fish are new, anything is possible.
The white area on the abdomen seems too large to be any white spot disease and gouramis are known for rapidly changing colors to match their mood. It could also just be the bullying and you need to break lines of sight or separate them.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, so this a similar issue we had with our Samurai Gourami. One very much dominant fish terrorized the rest until there was only two. As the other fish grew weaker they had the same rocking motion.

The unfortunate thing with Chocolate Gourami is their inability to deal with the range of bacteria that thrives at slightly higher pH. They just aren't built to cope with it and are usually exposed to it in fish stores. Often there isn't much you can really do about it as the damage is already done by the time you have them in your aquarium.

I think the white patches maybe related to bacterial issues and maybe that there is internal damage to organs.

I would also recommend keeping the water a little warmer for these, closer to 82f seems more ideal for them.

Also curious what your hardness and TDS(total dissolved solids) are at?

I wish I could help more, you have such interesting tanks =(
I would love to see more of your tanks, as a Gourami lover it's wonderful to see.

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

I can't see any ich. Since you've only had it for a week, it is possible this fish was weaker than the others and some bacteria got to it.
It happens to me occasionally when I buy fish. I bought 2 peacock gudgeons and one just stopped eating after a few days and died and no one else got any disease. I think it may be an oppurtunistic infection. When fish are new, anything is possible.
The white area on the abdomen seems too large to be any white spot disease and gouramis are known for rapidly changing colors to match their mood. It could also just be the bullying and you need to break lines of sight or separate them.
Thank you for the advice, it's reassuring. I will be purchasing some java fern/hornwort to break up sight lines. It just sucks with new fish and you can't do much for them. Heartbreaking. ):
Hi, so this a similar issue we had with our Samurai Gourami. One very much dominant fish terrorized the rest until there was only two. As the other fish grew weaker they had the same rocking motion.

The unfortunate thing with Chocolate Gourami is their inability to deal with the range of bacteria that thrives at slightly higher pH. They just aren't built to cope with it and are usually exposed to it in fish stores. Often there isn't much you can really do about it as the damage is already done by the time you have them in your aquarium.

I think the white patches maybe related to bacterial issues and maybe that there is internal damage to organs.

I would also recommend keeping the water a little warmer for these, closer to 82f seems more ideal for them.

Also curious what your hardness and TDS(total dissolved solids) are at?

I wish I could help more, you have such interesting tanks =(
I would love to see more of your tanks, as a Gourami lover it's wonderful to see.
Uh oh, that is not good at all. Do you think I should separate the weaker fish? I don't know if that will stress it out more since they're social. I have more coming in so that will reduce the bullying, but also if there is an infection, I don't want to spread it to the new chocolate gouramis. I'm ordering them from The Wet Spot and I hope that they're normally in a low pH tank.

If it is bacterial/damage to internal organs, what should I do to treat it? Obviously I should stop the bullying first but what about after that? I don't want to lose the entire tank. Also I've seen the weaker fish roll on to its side when the dominant fish approaches and then the dominant fish leaves. The weaker fish then goes back to being upright and continues swimming. This is an intentional hierarchy thing right? Seriouslyfish.com mentions something along those lines but I wasn't sure if it the same thing.

I just turned up the heater for them. I was going to ask if you just knew that from experience, but then I also see online that they have a higher temperature range than honey gouramis.

I uh.....don't know my hardness or my TDS. When I first started my tanks (last year March), I had a TDS meter but I'm pretty sure it's not good anymore as it was only $15 and I have done 0 maintenance on it. As for GH...I have the API test and its really hard for me because 1. I'm red-green color blind 2. My blackwater is very tinted already. I just tried it and its 5dGH if my eyes aren't deceiving me? I feel like it should be lower for blackwater. Though I'm ordering Hanna testers for KH as I'm writing this post. I admit that I have not been paying attention to KH/GH, though that's something I'm going to start doing since I care so much about pH.

Thank you! I'm really obsessed with biotopes. The first fish I bought were some dwarf rasboras and they were the reason why I went into blackwater tanks. A little later I got some honey gourami as a centerpiece fish for my 10 gallon, and now I'm trying to build them a Ganges biotope tank. I absolutely love gouramis, though I've kind of just stumbled on to them, it's not like I sought them out, at least at first. I really want a snakeskin gourami in the future, and the giant gourami is the ultimate dream, but that's far far in the future. Guess I'm a gourami guy now.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I think it might be best to separate it. If you want to try to treat it, you may need antibiotics but it may end up doing more harm than good and it maybe too late anyway unfortunately.

The roll action is very interesting to watch, it was the same with our Samurai. The sub dominant fish know how to act to avoid any true confrontation, at least for the most part.

Yeah, these are the kind of fish you need to be mindful of your water quality. It seems like your TDS is going to be higher than you really want. As a base point we know it's at least around 85 at a 5gh and then you have to add all the solids the TDS meter measures. Ideally want it closer to 50 total.

Gourami have a certain pull to them, I completely understand. It's nice when you have a idea of where you want your tanks to go. Snakeskins are genuinely wonderful Gourami, I kept some young ones for a few months. Fascinating social behaviour.

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

I think it might be best to separate it. If you want to try to treat it, you may need antibiotics but it may end up doing more harm than good and it maybe too late anyway unfortunately.

The roll action is very interesting to watch, it was the same with our Samurai. The sub dominant fish know how to act to avoid any true confrontation, at least for the most part.

Yeah, these are the kind of fish you need to be mindful of your water quality. It seems like your TDS is going to be higher than you really want. As a base point we know it's at least around 85 at a 5gh and then you have to add all the solids the TDS meter measures. Ideally want it closer to 50 total.

Gourami have a certain pull to them, I completely understand. It's nice when you have a idea of where you want your tanks to go. Snakeskins are genuinely wonderful Gourami, I kept some young ones for a few months. Fascinating social behaviour.
I'm currently setting up the 40B quarantine tank (new arrivals come in tomorrow!) and I think I'll keep the new arrivals in there and leave the bullied chocolate gourami by himself in the 20L. Maybe with good food, low stress, and good water quality he could fight any diseases off by himself? Do you think that being alone would really stress him out? I am falling in love with these fish and I know I would severely regret it if I didn't do everything I could to give them the best life.

Do you have any recommendations for pH, KH, GH, and TDS checkers? I have the Hanna one for pH and I'm considering getting an alkalinity checker from them as well. Could you educate me on the importance of TDS or point towards some resources that might help? I thought TDS by itself isn't really informative/relevant and that it was the ph/KH/GH that really mattered.

What ended up happening with the two samurai gourami? I really really hope I'm not making a mistake by getting more chocolate gouramis. If the 14 I have bully themselves down to 2 I would be really, really sad. And really, really broke. Oh also, do you have a favorite gourami species?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I think separating and keeping the water quality up would be your best bet. If it recovers consider reintroducing it into the community after all signs of illness are gone. I can imagine some alone time might be better.

When I used to check often I used a master set which I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I think API is usually recommended. As for TDS meter, I used the same as you did, just a cheaper one I found on some website or other. What I have heard and believe to be true at this point is that Samurai are much more hardy than the regular Chocolate Gourami and more tolerant of less than ideal water. That being said our water supply comes out at about 100 TDS but has a pH of about 7.5, So quite soft.

A lot of the importance of these parameters seems to be opinion based, so I'm really not sure if I can say just how important these are however I do believe that TDS is up there in importance when it comes to these Labyrinth fish that come from areas with negligible TDS. I've been told it can have an adverse effect on organs. I can say GH is just one part of TDS, so while important doesn't tell you just how hard your water really is.

Sorry I can't really find a source to post and I'm really just not that knowledgeable to say anything for certain.

So this is a recent development but I think we're down to one. The last and what was the boss from the beginning looks fantastic and seems to be doing great. I think our mistake was keeping them in a tall tank rather than something longer and generally bigger. We kept five in a 18 gallon column tank, there's just not enough space for them to really get away or keep a larger group. In the future we will likely try to keep a group again but in a larger tank and in a larger group.
I think it's a good idea getting more and likely something we would've tried had we the space.

My favourite Gourami was actually my first species and the one that got me into them in the first space, the Three Spot Gourami. There's something very special about them and they are a fish I am very much fond of. Here's a thread that I made about my group that I kept..... My Three Spot Gourami Community | Freshwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 432112
I don't think it is super informative and to be honest ended up being a lot of back and forth with my now partner but there are some nice pictures of Three Spots and young Snakeskins.

Edit: Just found the other Samurai alive and hiding, probably going to try and move it to another Aquarium.

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

I'll definitely do that, I think rather than re-introduce it from the 20L to the 40B quarantine where a hierarchy is already established, I will introduce both groups into the display tank at the same time to give the bullied fish a better chance. The newcomers came in today!! Here's an imgur link of them. I considered getting the Samurai gouramis but I ended up going with the Chocolates because I like their look a lot better. I don't mind the extra work. I'm definitely ordering the KH meter, I just need to find another way to reliably determine GH as the API kit isn't working for me.

I'm glad that you ended up finding both the Samurai! Yea, it makes sense how a tall tank would be difficult for them as a labyrinth organ fish. Do you have them in blackwater? If you ever get them in a larger group with a bigger tank, I would love to see pictures! Oooo I took a look at that thread and do you have yo-yo loaches in that tank? It seems very familiar, like I've seen it on Reddit before, but that might just be my imagination. I have never kept Three Spot gourami but I have seen them at my lfs! I heard that they have quite the personality and some can get quite mean ): If you don't mind me asking, did you meet your partner on Fishlore?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Sounds good.
The link isn't visible, I really look forward to seeing a large group of Chocolates. I would just get another TDS meter and skip anything that just shows GH.

I wouldn't read too much into Labyrinth fish having difficulties with tall tanks. It's unlikely they would in anything you could reasonably keep. The issue was with fish being unable to get and stay away from the dominant fish when they needed to. Longer tanks are much better for that.

They are Zebra Loaches, a bit smaller but full of personality. Actually a fish I'm also very fond of, their schooling behaviour is fascinating and definitely a fish I want to keep again.

Well it certainly wouldn't be me that posted it if it was haha.

Three Spots can certainly be very aggressive but in a nice sized group this seems to be more limited. There something about them for me that I just can't get enough of and again something I will definitely be keeping in the future.

I did, we were talking here for 6 or so months before we starting dating over the internet. It's been almost a year since we've been dating and I moved from Wales(UK) to the Netherlands about 7 months ago after she took a 2 week trip to Wales for our first meting. That was enough for me to pack my things and move = ). Though it did mean shutting my tanks down but also the chance to start up again.
Quite the surprise, I never expected to meet my partner over the internet haha.

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

Oops I forgot to include it, here it is: There is one big gourami in that group that actually managed to chase away all 13 other fish during feeding time. I mean, on one hand that fish is a jerk, but also, he is very good at being a jerk so I'm sort of impressed? They're just waiting to get into the 40B as I have to make sure that the water is appropriate for them. It's good though that no single gourami is getting the brunt of the bullying though.

I just ordered a Hanna KH testing meter and some supplies I needed for my pH meter, it ran me over $100....yikes...still though, it's better than dead fish.

!!! thank you for showing me those loaches as I am definitely going to consider them for future tanks. They would go well in an Indian biotope, but sadly I think they are from a different river system than the honey gouramis I have. What gouramis do you have now? I never really paid much attention to Three Spots before due to their reputed nature, but that does make sense what you said. I think any gourami has the potential to get mean if kept in non-ideal conditions.

Oh my god I love that so much, that is so sweet. I'm really happy for you and I hope you guys are happy. It sounds like a great time. Your partner must mean a lot if you were willing to shut down your tanks for the relationship though I imagine setting them back up with her must have been fun! Does she share your love for gouramis? I also would have not expected to hear about people finding each other on Fishlore hahaha. Also I realize that a lot of this could be over PMs and I'm sorry for that, I don't have that feature unlocked yet ):

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Wonderful! and I mean it such a beautiful tank. I really don’t get people’s dislike the look of black water tanks but then again I didn’t like the idea until accidentally creating one with a large piece of Oak. That ended up being one of my favourite looking tanks while the tannins lasted.

You’re welcome those Loaches are very interesting indeed. If you get a chance I would 100% recommend keeping them at some point.

We currently have:
Macropodus Opercularis
Pseudosphromenus Cupanus
Microctenopoma Fasciolatum
Microctenopoma Ansorgii
Trichopsis Vittata
Sphaerichthys Vaillanti
Wild Dwarf Gourami
Banded Gourami
Betta Splendens

We very much intend to keep others too but with Covid and our efforts to buy a house it’s just not practical to set up another large tank or two at the moment.
You’re spot on with Gourami having the potential to be mean but in a group it's often contained within the species and in my opinion is completely normal.
I didn't expect my large male to get on within the group and was hesitant to add him but I'm very glad I eventually did. Despite his killing past(Of other species) he fit right in with the group of Three Spots including eventually 2 other males.

Thank you and she does. I think it was easier because she shares my passion for Gourami, not sure she would of won out otherwise ; )
We actually joked before we were even dating that if she ever figured out how to keep Samurai Gourami I would come over and stay haha.
I was surprised myself, probably more so, that she was willing to travel to Wales during the pandemic. We got very lucky with it, I think the day after she arrived they put restrictions on travel from the Netherlands. After her stay we originally planned that I'd come over in about a month however.... this is a story she has told her family and friends... She returned on the 26th of August, later that day, after she had gotten home, she got a very sobby call from a destressed partner "I can't do it, I can't wait a month"..... so I booked plane tickets for later that week.....

It's again lucky I did, if we had of kept to the original plan, lockdown restriction came into play the day I would have gone over. The only issue with this was having to leave my dog behind. We had to wait on his passport, which was why I was going to wait a month. Unfortunately we're still trying to get him over but hopefully in the next two weeks he should be here =)

I agree it seems more like a DM here haha. Though not a problem here, considering our relationship pretty much started like this, most regulars here know about it in some way.

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

Hey sorry for the late reply, I haven't been home all weekend. I first started mine because I heard it was the best environment for my Pygmy Rasboras. I spent around $300 for some $2 fish, what a hobby.

Ahhh you have bushfish! How are they? There are a lot of African fish that I find interesting. When I have the space and the money, I would like to set up an African biotope. I understand the struggle with not being able to set up large tanks, I'm a graduate student hoping to go to medical school, so moving anything large will be a complete pain.

Gouramis as so strange in that they don't school but they definitely have some form of social interaction. My honey gourami fry in the grow out tank often chase each other around and compete for food. When I move an individual or pair to another tank, they often stop being as active, even when they're use to their new environment.

That is so sweet, especially that call. It's like a fishlore fairy tale, everything ended up working out, especially the timing. I did not expect this forum to be this interactive when I joined it, I just came on for some fish help but its actually a really, really cool community.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

No worries on late replies it's not exactly direct communication =)

Bush fish are a type of Ctenopoma or Climbing Perch. Bush fish usually refers to Ctenopoma Acutirostre which we don't have currently, though my partner has tried to keep them a couple of times. Most recently when I was here but after a few days it was covered in ich and didn't last. Not really sure what went wrong.
The two we currently have are very different from each other not only in size but temperament. While both are somewhat shy at first they have gotten used to us being around. The Ansorgii is still more shy, but the Fasciolatum has taken food from my fingers and tends to stay out front when your around.

We also want to setup a large tank with Bush fish in mind(My partner is very fond of them) though we do intend to keep potentially Pictus Catfish with them.

Yeah, I honestly believe it's underestimated just how important it is to keep Gourami in a group. I can understand people not wanting to see "aggressive behaviour" but who's to say how important that kind of behaviour actually is for them to act "normally". It's interesting how many issues seem to stem form fish not being kept with others.

Not sure if you know that Youtuber King of DIY? He once had a tankful of Pearl Gourami, their behaviour was fascinating how they acted together. If I remember correctly they huddled up in a group and hid under a shelf. Fascinating to watch.

I'm glad you like it here =) It's a nice community though it's a shame those threads were shut down, I can understand the Mods reasoning for doing so, I imagine it was a surprising amount of effort keeping track of everything that was being said, given Fishlore is very much a family friendly site.
Well I hope this may have convinced you to stick around, if you are at all interested there is a section on this forum for posting a build thread which you can show off your setups and update on progress etc..

Good luck on Med School =)

Upvote 0

Patpatthepat

No worries on late replies it's not exactly direct communication =)

Bush fish are a type of Ctenopoma or Climbing Perch. Bush fish usually refers to Ctenopoma Acutirostre which we don't have currently, though my partner has tried to keep them a couple of times. Most recently when I was here but after a few days it was covered in ich and didn't last. Not really sure what went wrong.
The two we currently have are very different from each other not only in size but temperament. While both are somewhat shy at first they have gotten used to us being around. The Ansorgii is still more shy, but the Fasciolatum has taken food from my fingers and tends to stay out front when your around.

We also want to setup a large tank with Bush fish in mind(My partner is very fond of them) though we do intend to keep potentially Pictus Catfish with them.

Yeah, I honestly believe it's underestimated just how important it is to keep Gourami in a group. I can understand people not wanting to see "aggressive behaviour" but who's to say how important that kind of behaviour actually is for them to act "normally". It's interesting how many issues seem to stem form fish not being kept with others.

Not sure if you know that Youtuber King of DIY? He once had a tankful of Pearl Gourami, their behaviour was fascinating how they acted together. If I remember correctly they huddled up in a group and hid under a shelf. Fascinating to watch.

I'm glad you like it here =) It's a nice community though it's a shame those threads were shut down, I can understand the Mods reasoning for doing so, I imagine it was a surprising amount of effort keeping track of everything that was being said, given Fishlore is very much a family friendly site.
Well I hope this may have convinced you to stick around, if you are at all interested there is a section on this forum for posting a build thread which you can show off your setups and update on progress etc..

Good luck on Med School =)
Do you have the Ansorgii by itself? I wonder if it would be more sociall in a group, though I do see that they are a predator so maybe not. The Fasciolatum sounds like a real joy though! Do these fish actually uhhh...climb? They definitely sound interesting! And yes I am familiar with King of DIY, I do like his older videos though, I am not much of a fan of the more recent ones.

If you don't mind, could you take a look at a few of my fish and tell me if you think they have a fungus? One of my gouramis ended up dying and some have white spots. Others have no white spots and clamped fins while some have neither white spots nor clamped fins. It's really a mixed bag.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

We do, to be honest we would keep more but they're not exactly easy to come by, not super rare but not easy. The one time I've seen them was the place we got the Fasciolatum and we didn't have a place big enough for a group at the time. She's in a 20 gallon now along with a couple of Syno's and African Glass Cats.

Apparently they are called Climbing Perch because they can walk on land.... No idea how true that is.

I wish I could say but I'm really not sure...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SecondTime
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
SecondTime
Replies