Chocolate Gourami Advise To Make Them Happier

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by sarah.grobbelaar, May 20, 2019.

1. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

Hi
    I was just wondering if anyone has an experience with chocolate gourami’s?
    I have 5, they are in 110ltr with lots of plants, floating plants, Indian almond leaves for a nice tea stain colour, bog wood ect. Low ph & small water changes. They’re awesome!
    I was hoping for advise on how to make them even happier? Does anyone buy vitamins in the water? Any keeping tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Redshark1 Fishlore VIP Member

The one and only time I've seen them discussed on here the poster was advised not to get them.

I believe they are considered fragile, so may be a challenging species best reserved for those people who are prepared to try and meet their exacting requirements.

You sound like that kind of person and I wish you all the best with this beautiful fish.

I've had one but I made the mistake of looking at it once and it dropped dead.

3. Crispii Well Known Member Member

I never seen chocolate gouramis in person. However, I heard that this fish is sensitive to water quality and can be picky eaters.

4. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not add vitamins to the water. It doesn't really work in most instances. Vitamins generally have to be ingested, but unless you have seen specific recommendations for this species, I would not do it.

It sounds like you have given them a very good habitat, and if they are fed good live foods it is very likely that they will do well. The volume of the tank is adequate, so long as it is a long tank rather than a tall. They are mouthbrooders, but the cover plants will certainly make them more comfortable. Temperatures should be in the upper 70s F (24-27C). I made the error of keeping them well over 80, which is too warm.

5. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

Thank you for your advice. They’re fab fish & they’re my favourite tank to watch with a coffee when the kids are in bed!
    I’m pretty sure one female has a batch as she hasn’t eaten in a week & her mouth is puffed. They love flual bug bites, frozen & live food.
    I’ll stay away from adding vitamins
    Thank you for your comments

6. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

They are but worth the extra effort. Tank bred don’t seem to be funny with food...never bought wild caught ones but am sure they are

7. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Can we see them :)

8. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

Sure They come begging as soon as I sit down!!

Attached Files:

9. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Awww those look amazing!! Nice job!!

10. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

Thank you xx

11. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

Beautiful, both the fish and the tank.

12. sarah.grobbelaar New Member Member

Thank you