Chocolate chess pie

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Ok, my favorite of all time is a chocolate chess pie, but I have bee unable to find a decent reciepe. I have searched the net and found at least 15 different ones, but they are all pretty much the same. I have made 4 in the past 2 weeks and while they tasted ok, there was still something missing. Does anyone have a good reciepe for chess pie, with or without the chocolate?

2. Tavel Well Known Member Member

I don't think pie and chess should mix...maybe checkers, but not chess.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i've never heard of chess pie

4. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

lol...similar to a pecan pie without the pecans is the best way i can describe it! I have been told it comes from western kentucky...but who knows...maybe it is from somewhere else! :;ufo

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

sounds yummy - my husband just described it to me when i told him about your post.

6. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I just finished tweaking the original reciepe I had again...it will be done baking and cooled in about an hour...I will let you know how it turned out and if it is right this time I will inclued the final version of the reciepe!

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Well this one is pretty close...as close as its gonna get I think! So here's the final receipe:
    1 cup regular sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 lg tbsp flour
    1 lg tbsp corn starch (or corn meal)
    2 lg tbsp cocoa
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup cream
    2 eggs beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 stick butter (melted and cooled)
    1 tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)

Preheat oven to 325
    Mix all the dry ingredients together well. Add eggs, cream, butter and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well. LASTLY add the vinegar and mix well on low for no more than 30 seconds. Pour into 9 inch unbaked pie shell and bake at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the center only slightly jiggles.

P.S. The surface of the pie will crack but this just tells everybody it's homemade!

9. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

hmmmm...it IS still a little too sweet...I think the only thing I am going to change next time is to cut the regular sugar to only 1/2 a cup. Otherwise, everybody around here says it is great!