Chlorine removal?

1. pyth Initiate Member

So I started my first tank earlier this week, kind of dove in not knowing a thing. I filled the 20g tank with tap water, and let the filter run in it for 3 days before adding a few fish today. Then of course, I started reading up on things, and I'm wondering if 3 days would have been long enough to get the chlorine out, or am I hurting my poor fish? If so, can I treat the water with the fish already in there?

2. iRun Member Member

I would throw in the appropriate amount of dechlor into the tank right now. It won't hurt anything, and there could still be chlorine in the tank. Your tank is not cycled. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

3. pyth Initiate Member

Yes, I did read up on the nitrogen cycle. I went with just a pair of guppys and a pair of swordtails in there to start. A few different places said 4-6 small fish in a 20g is pretty good for getting the cycle going. Hoping it was good advice.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

Three days should remove the chlorine from the water, but there is also a variant of chlorine called chloramine that is difficult to remove. I would urge you to grab a bottle of a good quality water conditioner/dechlorinator (Seachem Prime, Tetra Aqua Safe, Amquel + are all highly recommended), and yes they can be added while fish are in.

Being new, if you haven't already, read up on the Nitrogen Cycle (should be underlined, and there's a link in my signature), and then read up about "Fish-in cycling" - these two topics are going to help you immensely.

Whilst getting water conditioner, also grab some Tetra Safe Start to help with your cycle.

Welcome again, and please take some time to fill in your aquarium info (My settings), it'll help us help you.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Nitritrite and Ammonia Poisoning

Pyth - Welcome to Fishlore, I think everyone before me gave you the lecture on Nitrogen Cycle and on getting the appropriate conditioner. What is important about the better conditioners ( I use Prime ) is that during the difficult process before your tank is cycled and sometimes afterwards your ammonia and nitrites spike, which is obviously not good for the fish. Prime with "neutrelize" the ammonia and nitrite slightly changing its make-up so that it will not hurt the fish, but will still help in the nitrogen cycle. You only have to use one capsul in 50 gallons. That is all. It also conditions the water for chlorines and all the wonderful stuff your local city puts in your water. It may cost a little bit more, but it is worth it.:;hurryb

6. cameronpalte Member Member

I would throw in dechlorinator right now to help your fish, you can purchase some at nearly any pet store. Also, thats not your only worry... have you read about the ammonia-nitrate cycle. That combined with chlorine will become a death recipe for your fish so make sure to run to the store and buy some tetra safe start for 20 gallons (~$15), which should be enough to help you:). Best of luck, and act fast before deaths.

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore pyth!

That would be the nitrogen cycle :)

8. Lupinus Member Member

Fish in, you have two options.

Option 1: You also need something to handle the ammonia. For that it's going to be Prime or Amquel+. Tetra Aquasafe would be an OK, but it doesn't do anything for the ammonia so I wouldn't use it at this stage.

And water changes. Lots and lots of water changes. Prepare to become one with the bucket. 50% daily with Prime or Amquel+ to keep the ammonia at a level low enough it wont outright kill the fish or, at high enough level the bacteria. Pro's it's cheaper and most would argue probably even better for the fish. Con's, it's more work.

Option 2: Tetra SafeStart, which has the appropriate bacteria in a dormant state. So rather than upwards of 4-6 high maintenance weeks, you are looking at about two maintenance free weeks. Stay away from similar products as they have land based, rather than aquatic bacteria so you will need to dose over and over again. Follow the directions to the letter. At this point, do a large water change and dose the tank volume with Prime or Amquel+. Wait 24 hours, dump in Safe Start, I'd rinse the bottle a couple times in the tank also to get it all in there. Then for two weeks, do nothing but feed fish and top off the water if needed. Don't do water changes, don't clean the filter or substrate, don't test the water, just feed the fish being very careful not to over feed. TSS is great stuff, but it's also fragile and prone to failure if you monkey with it. Pro's it's a lot easier and less work. Con's TSS wont break the bank but aint cheap, it's prone to failure if you monkey with it at all, and you miss out on the opportunity to become one with the bucket.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Chlorine will dissipate in the water, typically in 4 hours, thou chloramines may take a little longer as you have to break up the ammonia and chlorine bond, which gives you the side release of excess ammonia into the tank.

10. cameronpalte Member Member

Oops...:)