Chlorinated Water For Plants?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Caleb Smith, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Caleb SmithValued MemberMember

I have some new aquarium plants that I want to quarantine/ sanitize for a tank Im setting up. After I bleach dip the plants and soak them in dechlorinated water, would it be safe to then move them to untreated tap water. The person I buy my plants from has some beautiful plants for cheap prices, but they always have snails and scuds. I was hoping that by leaving them for a day or so in untreated water(post bleach dip) , it would ensure they are safe... Is this true?

2. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I think you'll be safe. We water our house plants with chlorine water and it doesn't hurt. I always rinse my aquatic plants under faucets water before placing them in tank to be sure nothing is on them. Then I just shake them good.

3. 123Valued MemberMember

I wipe the leafs of my new plants with sponge in tap water and let them soak in tap water for an hour or so just to see if some snails show up. It does not seem to have any visible effect on the plants in my case :)

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I have a plant only tank that I use chlorinated tap water to fill. However, I also have pest snails in that tank, so not using a dechlorinator doesn't stop them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice