Chloramine/chlorine and treating your tank?

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

What i have read and am a bit confused:

-adding untreated water (with chlorine/chloramines) to your tank can kill the good bacteria that has built up.
    -you can add tap water to tank, and then treat the entire tank, and it should be fine
    -you must treat tap water, before adding it to your tank

Back story:
    Want to get one of the pumps that connect directly to the sink. But am worried about messing up the bacteria and cycle of my tank.

2. NoNameHaveI Initiate Member

Tagged also for interest.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What you want to do is perfectly fine. Just add the water conditioner as the tank fills up.

4. Grimund Well Known Member Member

You could shut the filter off and add the conditioner straight to the tank, fill it, then turn it all back on. I know I have to turn my heaters off for a water change, so I just turn the whole power strip off to make it easy

5. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

even with fish in the tank?

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

yes, its not going to hurt anything. This is how I fill all my tanks running a faucet hookup from my kitchen sink straight into my tanks. I then after adjusting temp with my hand, I turn the knob to start the flow, I then walk over and add my water conditioner which is Prime. I treat the whole tank volume.

7. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Makes sense. I was to scared too but I'm going to go pick me one up right away!

8. Dayna Ann Member Member

I dose my tank and then add the water for my weekly water changes and it works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Also welcome to Fishlore, good luck. It's a wondeful amd helpful community

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I have learn more everyday thanks to you and many others. Love this new hobby. Oh boy its stressful but man these fish are cool.

10. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Quit stressing. There's always a learning curve and each person has a much different one