Chipped shell help?

CuddlyOctopus

I got my nerite a few months ago and he's a very active snail with plenty of algae to eat. He has a Betta and a mystery snail as tank mates and he acclimated just fine. Since I got him from my local aquarium he has had a small chip in his shell. Since he's grown it's starting to get more noticable and there is a small chip next to it. I have been adding cuttlebone in the tank about once a week as of the last month. Is there anything else I can do for him? The chip doesn't go through his shell but I don't want the chip getting worse.

I've had some experience with my mystery snail who had a minor crack in his shell. I stopped it from getting worse by feeding him more broccoli throughout the week in a separate container so my glutton of a Betta doesn't bother him. I think I'm going to try and get my nerite to eat in a separate container just how I did with my mystery, though first time I've tried it he didn't like it since he doesn't like to be moved.

Are there any other tips that I could try to make sure hes thriving?

10 gallon tank
My pH is: 7.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_235918567.jpg
    IMG_20210715_235918567.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 35

Salem

Are you referring to the spot where the spiral of the shell comes together? If so thats not really anything to concern yourself over. The vast majority of nerites have that unless they're very young. What you're doing should be more than enough to help to help ensure your new friends shell stays nice and strong.

Upvote 0

CuddlyOctopus

Are you referring to the spot where the spiral of the shell comes together? If so thats not really anything to concern yourself over. The vast majority of nerites have that unless they're very young. What you're doing should be more than enough to help to help ensure your new friends shell stays nice and strong.
Oh! That's good to know! I had no idea what that was. I figured it was a chip due to poor calcium. He acts just like a normal snail so I was never too concerned over it. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about though :) thanks!

Upvote 0

richiep

A lot of the problems occur in transit from the wild to the lfs, they tend to put to many together and they just bang each other
The other reason a lot of the time when they free fall from the surface to substrate the tend to catch themselves on rocks chipping the shell, se people just drop them into the tank instead of placing them on the bottom which results in damage

Upvote 0

Betta_Blu

A lot of the problems occur in transit from the wild to the lfs, they tend to put to many together and they just bang each other
You should have seen my Petco guy "packing" my two nerites to come home: instead of twisting the rubberband around the plastic bag, he just swirled the bag around the rubberband, at least twenty times!
We could hear both snails clanking against each other over and over... It was excruciating watching it, I cannot imagine what the poor snails were going through inside that bag.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

You should have seen my Petco guy "packing" my nerite to come home: instead of twisting the rubberband around the plastic bag, he just swirled the bag around the rubberband, at least twenty times!
We could hear both snails clanking against each other over and over... It was excruciating watching it, I cannot imagine what the poor snails were going through inside that bag.
The guy who packed up my mystery did that too!!! Glad there weren’t any in there with her, but she must’ve been real shaken up :/

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jaycopper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies