chinese high fin shark

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by 240gordy, Apr 14, 2006.

1. 240gordyNew MemberMember

I have a chinese shark and it seems as though it has an openning or wound on his head. It is maybe about a half a centimeter across next to his left eye. It has been there for weeks and I'm not sure what it is. It looks about the same as it started. please help

2. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

What tanks do you have and what do you have in them because I don't think you can keep all the fish that you have said you have in the same tank. A chinese high fin banded shark grows around 3' in the wild and around 20" in the home, you are going to need a large tank.

3. 240gordyNew MemberMember

he is in a 30 gal right now but is only a jouvenille barely 4 in. As soon as he gets bigger ill surely move him to one of my bigger tanks. But this is besides the point, whats wrong with him?

4. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

O ok could you put your tanks and there inhabitants in your signature then and list the sharks tank buddies too. Can you be a little more discriptive on it too. It might be a battle wound depending on his/her buddies, my fish have had that peridically and it took a while for it to go a way but it did.

5. 240gordyNew MemberMember

I'm pretty sure it's not a wound, and it seems to be growing or spreading. I didn't think much of it at first because he has had it for so long. But now its looking more and more like some sort of disease if you got any info it would be great.

6. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Yeah those babies get large - could you post a photo of the wound? It'll be easier to troubleshoot if we had some visual aides.

7. 240gordyNew MemberMember

I'm havin trouble with getting the pictures online, so can you give me any info based on what you know or think.

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Sounds like Hole in the Head Disease (HITH). Check here for a description and treatment.   You do realize without a picture we can only guess at the problem.
    On another note you really have some tank busters in really small tanks and this can lead to a water quality issue.
    Carol

9. 240gordyNew MemberMember

He died this morning. It is so wierd because he has had it for so long I thought it was a wound. Well I guess I gotta move on. What should I do to the tank and the other fish. I'm not sure how long he has been there because I just woke up. So should I medicate the tank or what and if so with what.

10. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

If you don't know what the disease then you won't know what to medicate the tank with, if you do know what killed him/her then you can go to a lfs and get medication for it if you want. Best thing to do is a large water change today and smaller ones everyday for a week. And don't get anymore fish for any of your tanks for now. And what type is your albino pleco, is it a common albino or something else like a albino bristlenose. DON't add salt either.

11. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Do a huge water change first. You could have an ammonia spike if hes been in there a couple of hours. Then don't add anymore fish, wait and see how the others do before adding any meds. Even without this fish your tank is maxed out.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice