Chinese Algae Eater

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

This is a picture of what he is if you dont know. Not mine off internet, but he looks exactly the same.
    Anyway do you think I should return him as he is getting very aggressive, I ve had him for about 10 months now and he is now over the last few weeks attacking everyone except the angel and the Synodontis because they are much bigger. Do you think I should trade him in for maybe a siamese flying fox. He is really stressing my red-tail who he took over the heirachy from and my bristlenose and my swords when they go towards the bottom.

Attached Files:

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Trading him in would probably be best unless you have another tank to move him in. He's just stressing your other fish, and might even get more aggressive as he gets older.

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

J-Man, a 16 gallon tank is too small for this algae eater. I have exactly the same one algae eater only it is orange/golden in color. And it is true that as they grow older they become more aggressive, but I think they're more aggressive in smaller tanks. My algae eater doesn't bother my neons and angels at all. I've had him for more than a year. He will swim and move really fast at times but he has more space to swim (30 gallons) - maybe that is why he's not so aggressive (because of more space).

However, for all I know, he may still grow even bigger and become more aggressive, at which point I will also have to return him to the store. Though I haven't noticed any growth of his body since months. He's about 4-5" long and seems to have stopped growing. I hope he stays this way!

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

Fair enough, I think I'll trade him at the store I work in. I'll ask tomorrow. :-\

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol love the simpson lines love the simpsons j-man my favourite programme !!!!!

C W lol!! here puff here puff heee heee heee here puff

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yeah I know its great. So many memories... ;D