Chinese Algae Eater vs Common Pleco

• Thread starter WrenFeenix
  • Start date

WrenFeenix

Well Known
If someone wanted to get one of these fish to, say, clean a goldfish tank, which would be better? What are the differences between the these two fish behavior and diet-wise? Do CAE need to be kept in pairs? Are CAE more aggressive than plecos?

I realize neither of these fish are good for goldfish. It’s just an example.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I say Neither! Common plecos get massive and CAE are aggressive and will suck to the sides of your fish.. There are so many better Pleco options out there. I would say IMO these are the 2 worst options.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
StarGirl said:
I say Neither! Common plecos get massive and CAE are aggressive and will suck to the sides of your fish.. There are so many better Pleco options out there. I would say IMO these are the 2 worst options.
So, would a bristlenose/rubberlip pleco be better?

Is there any situation where a CAE would be better than a pleco?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
WrenFeenix said:
So, would a bristlenose/rubberlip pleco be better?

Is there any situation where a CAE would be better than a pleco?
Not in my book. What size is your tank?

WrenFeenix

Well Known
StarGirl said:
Not in my book. What size is your tank?
I’m just asking because a coworker recommended CAE over any type of pleco, and I realized I didn’t know anything about CAE other than I heard they were aggressive (which is why I never recommend them).

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
If you want a little algae workhorse get a SAE. They will even eat BBA. If you have the room. They don't clean the glass though. Come to think of it neither does my BN.....lol

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
If someone wanted to get one of these fish to, say, clean a goldfish tank, which would be better? What are the differences between the these two fish behavior and diet-wise? Do CAE need to be kept in pairs? Are CAE more aggressive than plecos?

I realize neither of these fish are good for goldfish. It’s just an example.
Fish dont clean tanks. Some help with algae.
I have 3 bristlenose and 1 Rubblerlipped pleco. All great for algae but rubberlipped needs minimum 55gal.

And both not good with goldfish water perameters

WrenFeenix

Well Known
What’s BBA? Brown algae?
A SAE is an oto, right?

I work at a pet store, and most people want some sort of cleaner fish, even if they don't have a problem or an adequate sized tank to put it in or understand anything about proper aquarium maintenance. There’s only so much convincing people are willing to listen to (which is not much). The best I can usually do is convince them to get a snail instead. Even then, they usually don’t want to buy food for it.:facepalm:

I manually clean my tanks; that’s how I like it. If I was to get a “cleaner fish” (though I would not depend on them to clean anything), I would get a rubberlip pleco (because they look so cool and adorable), but I would not put it with my goldfish because I don’t want to put a heater in there and a potential sucking hazard. Maybe when I finally get a convict or electric blue arcara tank. What water parameters would be incompatible with rubberlip plecos?

jkkgron2

Well Known
BBA is black beard algae and SAE is a Siamese algae eater, an Oto gets much smaller and is very sensitive.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
jkkgron2 said:
BBA is black beard algae and SAE is a Siamese algae eater, an Oto gets much smaller and is very sensitive.
What is a Siamese algae eater? How is it different from the Chinese one?

I don’t have lights on my tanks and therefore never had any kind of algae, so I don’t know anything about it.:D I’m absolutely useless when people ask me for help with their algae problems.

jkkgron2

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
What is a Siamese algae eater? How is it different from the Chinese one?

I don’t have lights on my tanks and therefore never had any kind of algae, so I don’t know anything about it.:D I’m absolutely useless when people ask me for help with their algae problems.
Well.. I’m not sure about the difference but nerite snails are PERFECT for algae cleanup, if I didn’t have bn plecos in my larger tanks I would have a bunch of nerite snails instead. And, even better, they don’t breed in freshwater so you never worry about baby snails! They are probably one of my favorite inverts.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
SAE only get about 6 inches and are the only fish that I know of that will eat BBA. Shrimp and snails do not. Thats why I said if you have room. They are not a sucker mouth fish so they won't try to steal the slime coat off your fish. I have 2 in my Tetra community tank. CAE I belive get much bigger 11" and are aggressive. I had one and It didn't eat much for algae.

I think a goldfish tank is too cold for a pleco. Thats the parameter he was talking about.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
How about this video?

jkkgron2 said:
Well.. I’m not sure about the difference but nerite snails are PERFECT for algae cleanup, if I didn’t have bn plecos in my larger tanks I would have a bunch of nerite snails instead. And, even better, they don’t breed in freshwater so you never worry about baby snails! They are probably one of my favorite inverts.
Are mystery snails good?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
StarGirl said:
Wouldn't these need more current (for oxygenation) than goldfish would be happy with?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Redshark1 said:
Wouldn't these need more current (for oxygenation) than goldfish would be happy with?
I really do not know. Im just looking up stuff that can go with goldfish and this came up and so did a few others. Maybe they can't be with them. Maybe nothing can...I don't know much about goldfish. All I do know is I would never advise someone to get a CAE or common pleco for reasons stated above.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
To maintain an aquarium you don't need to add more fish.

You just need to give your lazy arm a kick up the butt.

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Lol

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Redshark1 said:
Goldfish are pretty good with turbid water (except for the really handicapped breeds). My ryukin has very high flow in his tank and is doing great.

Redshark1 said:
To maintain an aquarium you don't need to add more fish.

You just need to give your lazy arm a kick up the butt.
I beat my head against brick walls daily. The constant concussion is starting to get to me.
Brick wall is unmoved by your argument.

Top Bottom